cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming abroad need basic help

Roanblue
Investigator
Investigator

I am a 77 year old and am really confused with what to do with regards to roaming.

Going to Greece in the 28th of May returning on the 11th June. My monthly mobile phone plan ends each month on the 26th of the month two days before I go to Greece.

I understand that I can purchase a £25 roaming and that will enable me to use my monthly data.

My questions are 1...Do I have to increase my spending cap as I believe that I will not go over my monthly plan

2..When my the £25 roaming data run for a month from the date that I take it out of does it run out at the end of each month.

It all very confusing to me and would appreciate some advise

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bristolian
Legend
Legend

First off, the roaming facility - which enables your phone to use foreign networks - is free and completely separate from any billing add-ons. Text ROAMING to 150 before leaving the UK to ensure this is done. Forget, and your phone won't work outside the UK.

The Roam Abroad pass add-on is £25 per billing month and allows you to use your UK allowances (for voice calls, texts & mobile data) across the EU (and selected other countries) as if you were in the UK. You are charged pro-rata for the month you apply the pass, and then in full for the month you remove the pass.

If your bill cycle is the 26th, and you travel on the 28th, you can safely add it on the 27/28 May depending on your preference. After you return, you can remove the billing add-on, it will be charged until the end of that bill cycle on 25th June.

You would be wise to have at least £10 headroom in your spend cap, as there have been instances of roaming issues caused by a spend-cap being reached even though an add-on was in-place. The roaming pass add-on should cover all "standard" charges.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
bristolian
Legend
Legend

First off, the roaming facility - which enables your phone to use foreign networks - is free and completely separate from any billing add-ons. Text ROAMING to 150 before leaving the UK to ensure this is done. Forget, and your phone won't work outside the UK.

The Roam Abroad pass add-on is £25 per billing month and allows you to use your UK allowances (for voice calls, texts & mobile data) across the EU (and selected other countries) as if you were in the UK. You are charged pro-rata for the month you apply the pass, and then in full for the month you remove the pass.

If your bill cycle is the 26th, and you travel on the 28th, you can safely add it on the 27/28 May depending on your preference. After you return, you can remove the billing add-on, it will be charged until the end of that bill cycle on 25th June.

You would be wise to have at least £10 headroom in your spend cap, as there have been instances of roaming issues caused by a spend-cap being reached even though an add-on was in-place. The roaming pass add-on should cover all "standard" charges.

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Good evening @Roanblue

Welcome to the EE Community. 

I can see @bristolian has provided you with a perfect explanation. 

If you have any further questions, please be sure to let us know. 

Katie 🙂

Thank you for your reply it is much appreciated.

I have just however noticed an article on the EE site that states the following

you’re travelling to Greece or Cyprus

You can use your plan minutes, texts and data allowances at no extra cost. However, during your stay you might connect to a Turkish network. As Turkey is outside of the EU, should this happen, you'll be charged to make and receive calls and send texts and picture messages.

My plan is as follows 25gb unlimited texts and calls so I guess my question is why do I need to purchase a £25 pound plan. In the UK I never use all my data and in the hotel that we are going to there is WiFi in the room.

Replies would be highly appreciated 

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Roanblue 

You don't have to pay for a roaming add-on, if you don't want to. You can make use of the hotel WiFi for your data needs.

However, if you were to make a call, send a text message or connect to mobile data (when not connected to WiFi), a £2.47 daily charge would be added to your account, allowing you to use your allowances for the rest of that day. If you don't do any of the mentioned activities, you won't be charged for that day.

Whereabouts in Greece are you going to? You will need to be vigilant, if you're close to Turkey, or the Cypriot border border that you don't connect to a Turkish network.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Chris

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Roaming charges within the EU are set on a per-day or per-month basis, that you get the use of your UK allowances for a fixed fee regardless of how much or how little you use (data subject to a 50Gb/month fair usage).

Outside the EU, roaming is on a per-unit basis, so calls charged per-minute, texts charged individually and data requires an add-on.

In mobile terms, the charges are based on the network you're connected to. Turkish networks are subject to the non-EU charges, while Greek networks are EU. Warnings of this happening are part of the basis for the "welcome to xyz" text messages sent when you first connect.

Many thanks Chris. Much appreciated