cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4GEE Wifi Box Range Increase with Booster - in Metres

ApricotTree
Explorer

I can't find this information anywhere!!

I know the range of the 4G EE Wifi box is about 10 metres, but how much could this distance be increased by using a wifi booster please? Outside, with no walls in the way, just the odd tree!

If anyone can help me I would be incredibly grateful, please.

3 REPLIES 3
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@ApricotTree : What do you call a WiFi Booster? A WiFi range extender, Access Point, Powerlines. ...?

What does it matter how clear outside is? You are boosting the WiFi signal not the mobile signal. The mobile signal range is measured in miles not metres. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I don't really mind what it's called, shall we call it a range extender for argument's sake?

It matters how clear the outside area is because that is the direction in which the distance mattters. Usually wifi range extenders (or whatever term we want to use) have to deal with solid walls and the like which would reduce the distance the signal would travel, because usually people want to boost the wifi signal or range inside a house.

The 4GEE Wifi box sets up a wifi signal, not a mobile one as far as I understand it, it's the wifi signal I am aiming to boost.

The 4GEE WiFi router gets its BB signal from the mobile network via the SIM in it. Hence the "4GEE". It then radiates the signal throughout the home over WiFi.

Yes, it's the WiFi signal you are aiming to boost. So why the concern about outside? Is it just that you intend to sit in your garden or whatever with your mobile or whatever device & connect to the Net?

Getting back to your original Q, the range of a WiFi range extender will depend on which you buy, its spec & capability. EE won't hold such info. You'd best start by trawling their manufacturers' sites.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)