cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Max installation turns into a disaster

DuncanPoundcake
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

4/2: Open Reach Turn up to install Fibre. 

Agree where to fix external cable coming from the pole.

Engineer Installs all the internal parts.

Can't install the external cable as the house is too tall and their ladders don't reach.

No-one thought to ask this question pre-installation.

4 hours later a hoist turns up. 

2nd Open Reach engineer turns up. I can hear lots of grumbling and installs the external cable.

First engineer then tells me the cable box up the pole, isn't working for my connection. Doesn't know why. 

I then discover that the cable from the pole, is not where I wanted. No communication it was just done *Cable runs through iron work under a balcony and round the back of the drain pipe. No clips. Drooping. Looks a mess*.

First engineer tells me he will keep the job open. Find out what is going on and ring me  on my mobile that evening.

Later on in the evening as I am tidying up. I can see the first engineer didn't tidy up after himself - cable ties. plaster etc lying around - Where the where the cable comes into the house hasn't been sealed as promised. 

5/2: No call from Engineer

No call from Open Reach from EE

Find a chat function on Open Reach website. Chat to someone who bombards me with jargon and before I can write: 'Can you explain exactly what that means?'. They end the chat.

Ring EE and eventually talk to a lady who takes all the above down and told me Open Reach would be in touch quickly. Probably Monday.

9/2: Still complete silence from EE & Open Reach.

To rub salt into the wound next door had fibre fitted by Open Reach yesterday, from the same pole.  

Dismal...

9 REPLIES 9
Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @DuncanPoundcake.

Welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear this has happened.

I'd recommend getting back in touch with our Customer Care team to request another call/visit from openreach.

If the job is still open on their system they should be returning to your address or contacting you to complete the job.

Jon

If EE are interested, they'll sort it out. If not, take it all away and
I'll go somewhere else.
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You are not a cust of OR. Their website & chat facility is for their custs, i.e. ISPs & wholesalers of BB. No wonder they used technical jargon & rang off when they realised you were just an end-user.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Of course EE are interested. Somewhere else are just as likely to be using the same OR engs out of the same exchange.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

@XRaySpeX  If the OP wishes to complain about the quality of the work then chat is the correct way of doing so.

"To raise a complaint, or enquiry, that relates to health and safety concerns, employee behaviour, personal injury, damage to your property, quality of workmanship, wayleaves or planned movement of Openreach equipment. You can contact us through our chat facility. Just click on the icon in the bottom right corner of the screen and select the 'others' option and then 'contact us' to get started."

https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/when-to-get-in-touch-with-openreach/complaints-policy 

Done on Saturday.

It gets better. 

I pick up a voice mail today from EE:

"Just to let you know the job is till open. An engineer was meant to come round yesterday (Was he? No-one told me) but he didn't show up. I'll keep an eye on it for you. No need to ring back".

👍

Yes because I haven't explored every option available. Thanks for the priceless advice. 

No they weren't. The result of all this was: Tough. Not our responsibility.