cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I have to pay to activate a 30-day add-on data plan?

Goldilocks134
Explorer

I purchased UK and EU 5gb data good for 30 days. When I landed in Amsterdam I received a text from EE saying I have to pay if I want to access the data.  Why must I pay twice?
Thanks.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Goldilocks134  You purchased an allowance and that allowance whilst it’s okay to be used in the UK to be used abroad you are roaming so therefore you have to pay to use roaming.  You’re not paying for the data you’re paying for the connection to use that allowance. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Goldilocks134  You purchased an allowance and that allowance whilst it’s okay to be used in the UK to be used abroad you are roaming so therefore you have to pay to use roaming.  You’re not paying for the data you’re paying for the connection to use that allowance. 

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, you may use your add-on in the EU as well as the UK but you'll be charged for that privilege.

If you have a Pay As You Go phone, you’ll be charged to use your minutes, texts and data allowances in our EE Europe zone.

Charges for EU roaming

When you arrive at your destination, if you have an active Subscription Pack we’ll send you a text to opt in to either of our roaming add-ons:
  1.  Roam like Home for 24 hours (£2.50 a day)
  2.  Roam like Home for 7 days (£10 for 7 days)

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks for explanation.