cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gifting data limits

Glenn93
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I’m wanting to get a sim only for my son, I have 100gb allowance. Is there limits on how much data I can gift if I were to buy a low allowance sim? 
for instance; if I got a 1gb sim can I gift him say 20gb per month?

thanks in advance:)

Glenn Adair
1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

After I found this out I did ask the question and explained that I purchased the sim in accordance with the information provided. I explained that on my current bill it states I could gift data to any other plans on my account. 
after doing this I was apologised to and offered a discount to align the cost of my new plan to that of the no frills plan, it is ridiculous the lack of info surrounding these plans. And when you think you've found an answer, you find something to contradict your findings. 

Glenn Adair

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @Glenn93 

Yes, you can get a second line for your son and gift him data each month.

You can do this in your My EE Account.

Jon

Glenn93
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Jon_K  I have received my sons 1gb SIM card but have discovered that I cannot gift any amount of data to him. 

this being a 1gb 24month sim only, they call it the no frills sim. Meaning I cannot gift data of any amount as advised by yourself. It wasn’t made clear during the order process that data couldn’t be gifted so I came here. 

Hopefully I can get this resolved or cancelled!

Glenn Adair
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Glenn93,

Sorry, it isn't possible to gift data to a No Frills plan.

If you'd like to switch to a plan that is compatible with data gifting, please get in touch on 150.

Thanks

James

meyre574
Visitor

I'm glad i read this thread as it really isn't clear. I'm the same position with my eldest daughter, i was looking at the same sim and planned to gift mine and my wifes data as and when needed. From what i can see you need to spend an extra £3 - £5 per month for the luxury of gifting data? Really bad 

Leanne_T

Hi @meyre574 

If you would like to discuss your options for gifting data, please call us on 150 and the team will be happy to help. 

Leanne.

I agree and I made the very same mistake. These plans are not clearly advertised. I thought that a no-frills plan could not send data to someone else, not that it could not receive data. That makes little sense indeed. 

Wonder82
Visitor

I have been with ee for donkeys all the way back to orange. I have had the same sims deals for years and was able to gift data! Now just tried and says low on data gifting??? How comes the change? And when has this been as I gift data to my son nearly every other month?? 

Christopher_G

Hi @Wonder82 

Welcome to the community.

Are you on an unlimited data plan? If so, this is what our unlimited plan help page says about data gifting:

'If you’re on a unlimited plan you can gift up to 100GB of data or 120GB if you’re on a 5G smart handset plan. This will be the first 100/120GB and any data usage will reduce your giftable allowance.'

Chris

GreenStoneWall
Contributor
Contributor

Why are a lot of this details (such as the detail on restriction to gifting) not clearly visible on the plan selection pages?

I shouldn't really have to be looking in the community forums for this sort of information!