cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current sim will not work on a new (albeit it 2g phone)

BarkessR
Investigator
Investigator

I've got a new 2g mobile and although it came with a PAYG sim, I thought I would simply be able to put my contract sim into the phone and it would work.
But its not working at all and is not recognising the sim - saying "insert sim card" yet if I insert the new PAYG sim it immediately finds it.
The contract sim does work fine in an old apple iPhone. I just needed a less complicated phone for myself so bought a basic 2g device.
Anyone any ideas as to why this should happen. My understanding is they are all backwards compatible.
(message written for the user as user does not understand any of this)

6 REPLIES 6
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@BarkessR  what network Sim card came with that device?  Where did you get that device from?

Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @BarkessR 

Can you manually select any network. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.

It was a PAYG EE sim and the phone is one of those daft deals you see in the paper aimed at people who cannot use smart phones (phone user is 97)

@BarkessR  It should work then if the PAYG sim is an EE sim.  the device doesn’t know the difference between PAYG and contract sims.
Just to check you have put the sim in the correct way round?  

Yes I do have it the right way round.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

An EE SIM is an EE SIM - PAYG vs pay-monthly is a purely billing difference.