Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abrupt data speed issues and intermittency in ing London and surrounding areas

lalanuggets
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all

3 EE users in my home, with them spread over my name and my OHs name so not all on one account. All are iphone 13 / 13 pro max. For around 2 weeks now, the data within London central (Mayfair even!!), and suburbs (East Barnet, Barnet hospital, whetstone, rammey marsh) is awful. 

In areas we always had full 5G (for literally 2+ years) we are seeing our phones connect to the 5G at full bars, there is zero, nil data throughput I can’t even start a Speedtest and WhatsApp is stuck “connecting….” The signal then goes to one bar of 4G and commonly 3G, with data speeds of 0.2Mbps where we all had 300+ in the same spot with full 5G just weeks prior. If we start a call, we see the phone on 5G, it used to ring right away but now it will pause for literally 10 to 30 seconds and the signal will start rattling around between full bars 5G, 1 bar 3G, 2 bars 4G, one bar E, back to 4G before the call starts. It then often comes up call failed. If we call one another, often we hit the voicemail of the other person we are calling sitting next to us, despite their phone showing signal. 

I have a VPN back to my home over IKEV2 which I use for accessing business files remotely (it’s not always on / on demand) and I only turn it on when needed. This was rock solid, however it can take 15 seconds to simply connect, and then it drops out endlessly where I used to keep it on for an hour or so without any issues. As a trial I tried nordvpn and it drops also. 

In areas where we have no data throughput at all, if I make a call, it takes about 30 seconds to start, at which point I get notifications and very slow (dial up type speed loading of pages & WhatsApp’s will send). When the call ends, the data stops entirely again with 5G showing. 

The issues are present in Milton Keynes also where I spent my time on 1 bar 4G almost 247 where it is usually 5G and full. Speaking to locals they said it has been absolutely dire the last week or two. 

Other areas seem to be OK however it definitely feels widespread to have this level of awful data in Mayfair, north west London, north London and other random areas. I drove through Hackney yesterday and I couldn’t even call, it just span around trying E, 3G, 4G and kept going in a loop until call failed. The data was so bad that it wouldn’t load Google maps directions. 

I have been with EE since t mobile days of unlimited 3G and this is the worst I have ever seen! It’s not just me it’s other family members on EE plans in their names and friends. EE need to clear up the issue, and be clear on fix times as this is 100% feeling like a cover up and a fake charade of everything is awesome here.  

4 REPLIES 4
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@lalanuggets   Have you reported this back to EE ?   Have you had a look at THIS and put your postcode and device information on it and click the check status tab ?  Have you tried a network reset on the devices?   This is found within Setting>General>Transfer & Reset Phone>Reset>Reset Network Settings.   

It is about time that EE looked holistically at this issue. I reported the issue and they came back with no issues detected. It’s totally random like today I had full 5G and 500Mbps. I then later got 1 bar and watched it switching between full 5G, full 4G, 2 bars 3G, 1 bar 5G, 1 bar 4G, even no service for a while, it settled on 2 bars of E. on EDGE I started getting notifications via data, it then went back to full bars 5G and I spent forever having zero, none, nil data. It’s much the same for the other 2 EE devices in my home. 

I drove through Milton Keynes where I used to have full 5G, I had 1 bar 4G, and I had no data throughput only calls working. Same for my family with me on EE.

It feels like the network is deliberately trying to move me to other masts as mine isn’t able to deliver any data, and I spend most of the time with sub 1Mbps speeds (vs 300 to 500 which I always had before). It eventually goes to a site which is too far (hence no signal). Meanwhile others in the home have full 5G and data throughput that crawls. 

It feels eerie similar to all these posts. There’s a problem.

I noted I usually have 5G in Mayfair, like this post I had 2 or 3 bar 4G, I saw 5G full bars for maybe a minute or so out of an hour. When it put me on 5G there was no data throughput. When it put me to 4G the data was less than 1Mbps, often stopping entirely. It pushed me to 3G most of the time (for every call and every text I tried to make). I have Volte yes. 

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Mobile-Network-discussions/terrible-signal-in-Mayfair-London/td-p/1155...

They are seeing 3G, and asking about why they are on 4G. I’m sure there is 5G, like I see other devices on it, the problem is they don’t have enough data throughput it feels like the data is turned off. The network starts cycling through 4G and 3G to do anything. It then sits there at snail speeds but there’s some data at least. 

the second post here, replied stating they have spent all morning going mast to mast, mentioning they cycled through 10 masts. That’s my issue too, and it continues until some snail paced data can be found, else it gets stuck on no service for a while. 

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Mobile-Network-discussions/5g-not-working-on-Google-Pixel-6-pro/td-p/1...

Here they have 4G with no data throughput in central London. same for me, and it’s not standard and has never occurred for all of the years I’ve been with you. 

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Mobile-Network-discussions/Phone-shows-strong-4G-connection-but-doesn-...

I am also finding for the first time ever that my 4G is faster than my 5G for the last few weeks. I got no data on 5G most of today, in Barnet hospital area I was getting 0.3Mbps on 5G (I go here a fair bit and it’s usually 100+). Manually forcing 4G put me on another mast with a different ID and with 1 bar I got 4Mbps. Notably, both the 4G and 5G had long periods of no throughout. 

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Mobile-Network-discussions/4G-performance-quicker-than-5G/td-p/1154128

London again, data very slow reported and 4G again. Notably, I am being forced off 5G for hours on end, and put onto snail paced 4G. Your network is moving my device to 4G, my device has stayed static in one place. I have a 5G mast which I can see out of my window. 

The mast isn’t going “offline” I have other devices in the same house on the 5G. They have no data throughout until they eventually get forced to 4G which crawls, and when it has no throughout all devices have been forced by EE to EDGE with one bar (which was 10+ changes to my signal displayed up top watching full 5G go to 4G, go to 4G with low signal, go to 3G, go to 3G with 1 bar, often bouncing back to full 5G and 4G and eventually settling on 1 bar edge where data is super slow but things such as WhatsApp work, whereas otherwise I get connecting infinitely and safari saying mobile data could not be loaded). 

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Mobile-Network-discussions/Internet-very-slow/td-p/1155686

This customer normally has 5G, they are on 4G like I am most of the time now. There is no data throughput. The network is clearly trying to manage traffic and we are seeing no data throughput en-mass, with the network appearing to have no signal when we are forced into 1 bar EDGE whilst sitting in central London with a mast in front of our faces, often in line of sight, with multiple more under a mile away).

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Mobile-Network-discussions/Is-EE-having-an-outage-in-Peterborough/td-p...

my device has been factory restored, which resets network settings, the other person living here got a replacement esim due to having “no data” and “not seeing 5G in London anymore.” Their issues the same. 

I have not seen this reported however even your London Underground Wi-Fi (deployed via carrier profile) is kicking users off, and when I’ve been on it I’ve had virtually no data throughput. It seems to have occurred since the exact same time my mobile data has become horrific and my signal is bouncing to masts all over the place on all bands, and all tech types (5G, 4G, 3G, E). Notably the tube Wi-Fi is telling me the password is incorrect and asking me to enter it, hold on, it’s provided as part of the carrier profile settings  and something must be REALLY wrong for it to be asking me to provide a password as there isn’t one provided to customers and we rely on your carrier profile which automates it. Hence the Wi-Fi is called EEAuto-WiFi. 

ironically my device is being kicked off band 3 5G right now, and is cycling around all high bands, on different sites, which have no throughput. It is getting super slow throughput when it eventually stops on 2 bars of 4G using BAND 20!!! Band 20 has the least spectrum and channel bonding. I can see the mast, and I’m not connected to it, rather I am on band 20 800Mhz which is more of a last resort where the carrier profile avoids it at all costs due to the limited spectrum, the fact it covers a large distance and hence easily becomes slow. If I’m on band 20 in central London, zone 2, standing next to the mast, how far away is the mast I’m actually on? It’s definitely impossible for band 20 to be coming from the mast 75 metres away, given it has 2 bars. That band goes far, and wide. So how over congested is this mast right now?! Well, as you’d expect band 20 is very slow, but whilst it normally is 2 to 10 Mbps I currently get a Speedtest of 0.2Mbps (when it starts and doesn’t error out). If this is happening to lots of us, is it any wonder people are saying their 4G is slow or they are seeing no throughput? 

Edit: the tube Wi-Fi error it’s reported also. 
https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Mobile-Network-discussions/London-underground/td-p/1038664

please look at your issues being reported holistically, and please for goodness sake get the networking team looking at this. It has been what feels like a lifetime of denial at EE with customers all over being asked to reset the network settings despite the pattern of issues being clear on this forum alone let alone your customer service line. 

B96EC81B-5C28-4076-B633-FDB02210FB69.jpeg

Same issues here! Can’t believe the data signal at the moment it’s like going to vodaohone but worse. What’s going on been low speeds and hardly ever any 5g for the last couple of weeks or more. What is going on? Are we all automatically getting a phone discount. Why I pay more is to get a good service! 

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

We encourage anyone who is having problems with their service to check for known maintenance in their area on our network status checker, @lalanuggets

If there is nothing listed, and you're aware of more than one user having the same problem in the area, I would suggest reporting a problem on there.

If our network team see any patterns with reported problems, they will investigate it accordingly.

If you have followed those steps already, and would like to discuss it further, our Technical Support team are on hand to do so. Hopefully they can help get to the bottom of your particular problem.

Chris