cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 4G mobile data connection 2 weeks

Arran099
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I now hardly ever get a EE 4G mobile data connection in West London TW5. It worked fine until 2 weeks ago. Software update ?

It seems to work on EE 3G. Wifi, calls, texts all ok. Very frustrating ☹️

Occasionally it works at 5am very fast so it can't be phone settings therefore ?

I've reset the mobile itself (Sony Xperia 5; Android 11), APN to default, network settings to default, Airplane mode off & on.

EE Helpline said local mast was working as it should, but masts further away were under repair. EE have now told me that fault have been fixed. They said no point trying my SIM card in another phone (I don't have another device ...) as masts were causing the problem but I still have the same lack of 4G data connectivity.

As advised by EE Helpline (Lee) I tried to connect to Vodafone, etc to disconnect fully from EE & then re-connect to EE but still no 4G mobile data. Rootmetrics test usually fails, says lack of connectivity but when 4G data connected once at 5am test results then were 78bmps download.

EE say my SIM is connected for data ok at their end. I think web pages (e.g. Gmail, BBC News,etc) are apparently taking too long to load on 4G - but fine on EE 3G 🤔

I get 2 or 1 signal bar on my mobile.

Something is preventing the EE 4G signal connecting for mobile data but allows EE 3G to do it. Sometimes it works fine when EE 4G first switched on but within 10 secs data connectivity is lost.

I suspect a simple solution but I'm foxed...

I can't get to an EE store for SIM to be checked but is it wise for EE to post me one ??

Thank you in advance.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Arran099
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

My 4G mobile data suddenly appears to be working - touch wood. I think the signal must be 'different' although there are the same number of signal bars on the phone.

I always felt that it was a signal problem because when the problem first happened I had to hold the phone up nearer a window as web pages took longer to load.

Maybe it was a hard to diagnose fault not present when the engineer was at the mast.

Having reported it several times on the EE page & in several Tech Guru telephone conversations (they were always helpful) I am surprised it took several weeks to fix in an urban area in West London. One community member had to buy a sim from another company. The problem was resolved shortly afterwards ...

View solution in original post

55 REPLIES 55
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Arran099 ,

In Network settings, is "Preferred network type" set to 4G for that SIM?

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net
Arran099
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Mike,

It says "4G/3G/2G" as the only option. Had same SIM from first having that mobile.

I guess the option was presenting for Android 9 https://deviceguides.vodafone.co.uk/sony/xperia-5-android-9-0/connectivity/select-network-mode/

Somehow got removed for Android 11, and then came back for a later model?

https://deviceguides.vodafone.co.uk/sony/xperia-5-ii-5g-android-11-0/connectivity/select-network-mod...

Mysterious. 🤓

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Arran099
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Had this problem for 2 weeks.

Renewed my EE home broadband contract about then (but not relevant obviously), seem to remember doing several app updates & Xperia software updates?

Something changed.

Hi @Arran099 ,

I know it's difficult to meet up with anyone at the moment, but I think your best bet will be to try to determine whether the problem lies with your phone or your SIM.

I would recommend to get in contact with a person who has an LTE mobile compatible with your SIM, and who has a LTE SIM compatible with your phone and to make appropriate swaps until you find out whether the problem is your phone or your SIM.

(It's possible other members of the community may have other suggestions you could try.)

-- 
Arran099
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Mike,

Thanks. My mobile says my "SIM status" is ok but that probably doesn't mean much with this problem..

P.S. How do I refresh this page to see latest replies ?

Obvious but ...

Ctrl-R works on a laptop, settings -> circular arrow icon on mobiles.

-- 

Hi @Arran099 ,

From a search online, Google Play apparently has a "Force LTE Only" app. I've never used it and have no idea whether it works but it seems to have good reviews.

You may wish to look into this or a similar app and test one which receives good reviews. Your feedback may be useful to other users here. Personally, I've never come across the issue before. Good luck! 🤓

-- 

The above information is by far the best option.

If it does not work for you, the below information is risky and may brick your phone. I take no responsibility for any damage which comes to your phone from a misconfiguration resulting from the below.

There is a submenu of this that might be relevant to you: "*#*#4636#*#* - Open testing menu (Phone, Battery, WiFi and other)"

https://tech-ish.com/2019/05/01/4g-only-no-root/

https://mobilexfiles.com/phones/sony/sony_xperia_5/secret_codes/

--