cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone won’t work abroad

Dav78
Visitor

I’m currently in Cyprus and my phone won’t work. I have roaming enabled on my account, I’ve tried every different network but still nothing. My wife and sons phones on the same account work fine. I really need it for work purposes, trying to speak to someone at EE is impossible. I’ve also tried rebooting it several times and still nothing. 
Please help

11 REPLIES 11
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Dav78 

Thanks for coming here. 

Please call us from one of the other phones and the team will get the account looked into to make sure everything is set up for you. 

Thanks. 

Leanne.

AnnaM12345
Investigator
Investigator

I am in Cyprus and having exactly the same problem (and have never had this in previous years). I upgraded to a new phone and contract in July 2023 thinking this would be a good idea ahead of my trip....

So initially, it was working fine. Then, after a couple of days it stopped working completed. I got a text message saying that roaming wasn't enabled (even though I had requested this when I upgraded). So I did the ROAM EU text to 150.

Then I got a text saying I'd reached my spend cap (didn't realise I had one) so I set this at £5 (again by using the text facility) so that I could start using my phone again. This didn't work, roaming still won't connect. And when I go onto my account - it says that no spend cap has been set up (yet I have a text saying it has).

I carried on trying to get it working and eventually reverted to chat. The first chat assured me that everything was set up on my account and advised me to reboot the phone, and also to de-select automatic on network selection, and instead to select one manually. Tried this....didn't work.

So then I went onto chat again where they unhelpfully told me that they couldn't guarantee coverage, I can see 6 networks to select from manually - and none of them are working. They again assured me that everything is set up correctly on my account and should be working.

I have two other EE customers with me in Cyprus, and both of their phones are working fine, and have connected to roaming.

I also thought that maybe I needed to add a data bundle, so went onto my account (business) and added the 500mb - but this hasn't made a difference.

Please can someone help me? I'm worried I will have been charged for roaming in the early days when I arrived, and I'm also worried that it now won't work at all. 

Katie_B

Hello @AnnaM12345

Are you in the Norther or Southern part of Cyprus?

Do you have the Roam Abroad Pass or Roaming as an inclusive extra in your plan?

If you are in the southern part to use your phone abroad and use your services as you would in the UK including data you will be charged £2.29 per day or will require the roam abroad pass which is a charged £15 per billing period. This will require you to have a higher spend cap to allow roaming charges. 

More information can be found HERE

Katie

Hi
I am in Southern Cyprus. 
Many thanks
Anna

Katie_B

Thanks for getting back to me @AnnaM12345

Please try raising your spend cap and see if this allows you to use your services.

Katie

Hi

I've logged onto my account (through a laptop) as setting up the spend cap doesn't seem to work. When I select this feature on my account, the page just says this (I have tried a few times, have refreshed etc)

Well, this is awkward

Not your fault - something went wrong our end. Hit refresh or come back later when we’ve fixed things

Katie_B

Hi @AnnaM12345

Aer you using the app or My EE online?

Katie

AnnaM12345
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, I'm logging on to my account through a laptop.

Katie_B

Hi @AnnaM12345

If you are unable to do this via your My EE account then our customer care team will be able to this via Live Chat or Facebook. 

Katie