cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Data drop out

GrumpyPotter
Investigator
Investigator

OK, here's a strange one that even the EE level 2 tech support are struggling with.

At certain locations, mainly near my home, I have no data on both physical sim and eSim on my S22 Ultra.

Other family members have data connection with EE with no problem, which rules out service issues. 

I can access full data elsewhere, such as work etc, which rules out a phone problem.

I've toggled airplane mode, reset all settings, put a brand new sim card in, tried the samsung maintenance checks, turned the phone on and off again, prayed, everything. 

Have I missed anything? Will a factory reset do anything?

7 REPLIES 7
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@GrumpyPotter  all you’ve got left is a factory reset but it might be worth setting the device up as new do not restore from any backup until you have tested it just in case you might put the issue back on the device.   

bristolian
Legend
Legend

I'm not surprised by your experience with CS. I'd like to hope that any support agent would have at the very least, suggested a 2way SIM swap here.

Put a known working SIM in a non-working phone, what result?

Put a non-working SIM in a known-working phone, what result?

There are some other tests, but let's try one thing at a time. Don't go nuclear with the factory reset until you have conclusively proven the phone to be the issue - nowhere close to that yet.

Great advice both, thank you. 

So, my physical SIM into a known working phone works perfectly. I have data. 

A known working physical SIM into my phone also works. I have data.

My physical SIM back into my phone doesn't work. No data on both esim and physical one. 

Any thoughts?

An interesting one, I'm suspecting an issue with the dual-SIM/eSIM setup.

When you have a working physical-SIM in your phone, does the eSIM still give usable data?

Are you also toggling between SIMs to test both as "active" for data at the relevant time?

No data on both physical and esim. 

I toggle the button to select which SIM to use for data. 

It's very confusing that at my work address (2 miles away) I have full data on both sims. It's only at home, church (about a mile away), local supermarket (2 miles away). 

MG78
Visitor

It would appear that the fix was to swap the esim for a physical one. 

Prior to factory reset, I needed to sort the esim out so that I didn't lose access. So I swapped it for a physical one before the reset. Popped it in, disabled the esim and hey presto, full data at home for the last 6 hours. 

bristolian
Legend
Legend

An interesting outcome. I'm yet to come across any advantage of an eSIM except in cases where the "latest & greatest" is more important than functionality.