cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect phones to wifi

Coz21
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Has EE been down today? We have been unable to connect our phones and other devices to wifi all day. Also our 4G has only just started working. Just wondering if it is a problem with EE or the router.

30 REPLIES 30
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Coz21  Wi-Fi is signal from your router and has nothing to do with a cellular reception on your device that are two different connection types.   

Did you try a wired connection to the router ? Or perhaps restarting the router?   What colour lights were on the router?  And is your broadband with EE ? 

Did you check to see if there was a mast issue in your area with THIS and clicking the check status tab ? 

Coz21
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I turned the router off and back on and made sure all the wires were in properly. All the lights were on in their usual colour. Broadband is with EE.  On the iphone and ipad, it says 'weak security' in wifi settings. Does that mean it's a problem with the router? How can I solve the problem? Would it be easier to get a new router? It's not the one that came with EE, it's a TP Link one I bought but we've had it years and not had a problem until now.

Is this for mobile BB or fixed Home BB? You said 4G in your OP so I assume mobile.

Set its WiFi security to like :

Security
WPA

WPA Mode
WPA2

Cipher Suite
AES

for both the 2.4 & 5 GHz bands. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Coz21
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

It's fixed home broadband. But we've had issues with 4g on our phones aswell. The 4g hasn't been great dor the past year but it's been terrible today. Managed to get one bar on this evening to do certain things online.

Coz21
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Where do I put those settings?

@Coz21 : Tell me which router you have?

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Coz21
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

TP Link AC1600 wireless gigabit VDSL/ADSL modem router Archer VR600

I wouldn't know that 1. Login to it & find the WiFi Settings page. Fit to what I told you or post a pix of it & I'll guide you.

Coz21
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I've installed the TP Link Tether app which I didn't have before. I set it up with my email address and chose a password. I put my phone on wifi and it found the router. I selected the router and it asked for the Log in password. What do I put for this? I tried putting the password I created after installing the app but it says it's the wrong password