cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling

AllysonC
Investigator
Investigator

I've just had a message to say  my 'older device' is not compatible with wi-fi calling. I have a Google Pixel 7a which I got this year. What does this mean? I see 4G and 5G when I am not using my wi-fi so how isn't it compatible? Am a bit confused. Can anyone help. Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Can you post up an exact copy of this message?

Hi.

This is the message.

Hi Allyson, we have an important update for you:

EE will be switching off 3G in January 2024 so that we can focus on strengthening our newer and more reliable 4G and 5G networks, giving a better experience to our customers.

As you're using an older device that is not compatible with 4G Calling , you will be impacted by the switch-off. Don't worry, click https://discover.ee.co.uk/f5Y0M3d5 where we've pulled together all of your options.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

As I suspected, there is no mention of WiFi-calling in that message, which will continue unaffected.

When you are on a voice call, does "VoLTE" or 4G-calling show next to your coverage indicators? Not all phone support VoLTE which is the technology underpinning 4G-calling.

If yours doesn't, then your phone will be using 4G for data but 2G/3G for voice calls - which after 3G sunset will be 2G-only. This is mentioned in the second paragraph on the linked page.

Hi, I think it shows 4G but I haven't really been looking. I've also seen 5G. I've not seen VoLTE. Thank you for your help. I'll see what comes up when I make a call