Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 6 Pro 5G switch

nicesub
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

So got my Pixel 6 Pro from EE and I wanted to switch off 5G as I think it is still young tech and it drains battery for nothing.

However, I cannot find that option on my phone. Is it that someone at EE had a very stupid idea to restrict users switching between 5g and 4G?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PhilipL
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@nicesub  It does seem an odd thing for EE to have done, it might simply be a mistake in the carrier settings which are very new on my phone (25-10).

You can get round it by:

Dialling *#*#4636#*#* for the hidden phone status page.

Find network type and change to: LTE/GSM/WCDMA, that excludes NR (NR is what they call 5G).

The default option to return as it was is: NR/LTE/GSM/WCDMA

Some more info on this thread https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Android/Pixel-6-Pro-on-EE/td-p/1094314

And you quite right regarding battery drain.  5G at the moment relies on 4G as well, so the phone is connecting to two networks as 5G can not work without 4G currently.  It is basically a kludge to get 5G out there before it is kind of ready.  4G launched this way as well.

Come next year EE will start to launch 5G proper, so it becomes it's own standalone network and not reliant on 4G to piggy back on.

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/5G/EE-is-launching-the-UK-s-first-5G-service-in-six-cities-with/td-p/7...

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@nicesub  As it’s Google software on the device that’s down to Google to give that option. 

Are you sure this is not some sort of EE imposed configuration? 

Simple Google search shows that Android 12 has that option to change between 4G and 5G.

@nicesub   Very sure.  The software on that device comes directly from Google.    And just to check is that Android 12 for that particular device or just Android in general ?  

It's Android 12, latest OS on latest Google device.

chistery
Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

EE appear to be restricting it in the EE operator settings. Shows up fine on Vodafone. 

I suspected something like that.

I don't understand just why they would lock out such a basic function that potentially improves battery life.

Any way to remove that restriction?

Did EE ever explain this stupid lock? Any way to ask them to put that option back?

Hi @nicesub ,

I think the sad reason is that you don't control the firmware on your phone and the party which does control the firmware on your phone can do what it likes.

This is the primary reason why I refuse to purchase any handset from a service provider.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

I understand that and certain things make sense, such as locking you on certain SIM.

But this locking of option that lets a user change between 4G and 5G is insane. I see no reason behind it. Wish I could talk to a person who thought this might be a good idea and ask it what was the thought process. Did they thought of the implications of this restrictions such as killing battery of their users. I am just curious.

Don't think is OS itself here at play, I bet once I unlock this phone and insert non EE sim that the option will appear.

I think EE could fix this easily if they really cared about user experience.

PhilipL
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@nicesub  It does seem an odd thing for EE to have done, it might simply be a mistake in the carrier settings which are very new on my phone (25-10).

You can get round it by:

Dialling *#*#4636#*#* for the hidden phone status page.

Find network type and change to: LTE/GSM/WCDMA, that excludes NR (NR is what they call 5G).

The default option to return as it was is: NR/LTE/GSM/WCDMA

Some more info on this thread https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Android/Pixel-6-Pro-on-EE/td-p/1094314

And you quite right regarding battery drain.  5G at the moment relies on 4G as well, so the phone is connecting to two networks as 5G can not work without 4G currently.  It is basically a kludge to get 5G out there before it is kind of ready.  4G launched this way as well.

Come next year EE will start to launch 5G proper, so it becomes it's own standalone network and not reliant on 4G to piggy back on.

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/5G/EE-is-launching-the-UK-s-first-5G-service-in-six-cities-with/td-p/7...

Hope that helps.