cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi-calling problem

AndyKay1
Investigator
Investigator

I bought a used Microsoft Lumia 640 phone locked to the EE network, I installed a new EE sim card and sent the message STOP PACK to 150. EE confirmed. I topped up the card using my EE account.

I selected my Virgin Media wifi router for wifi access and the phone shows connected.

Is there any reason why the phone won't receive text messages over wifi?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@shockwaveThank you Shockwave you fixed my problem. It was off. Sorry to have been so slow but as old as this phone is, smart phones are new to technology to me. I've managed to avoid them until now, and at almost seventy it's all a bit of a challenge for me. The EE community is wonderful. Thank you all.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Schockwave
Community Hero
Community Hero

@AndyKay1 , it could be that that phone does not have wifi calling. I would suggest checking the instructions, you can do this by putting a search into Microsoft Lumia 640 in the browser, also check the settings on your phone to see if you can enable wifi calling.

I have just downloaded the instructions and wifi calling should be enabled by default.

You can download the instructions and then go to calls and messaging and click on there you can check it all out:

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/Microsoft-Lumia-640_id9253

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.

Thanks Shockwave, but I've already established a wifi connection between the phone and my Virginmedia hub. I was thinking more along the lines that EE may not permit wifi calling without a package, or alternatively there might be a temporarly problem with wifi calling on EE.

@AndyKay1 : WiFi calling is available to PAYG customers w/out any contract.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @AndyKay1

Thanks for coming here. 

If you give us a call on 150 or 0800 079 8586 and the team will check the account is set up for WiFi calling for you. 

Leanne 🙂

Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @AndyKay1 

Which version of windows phone are you using? 

The OS must be at least 8 years old and never supported for about 7 years. Make sure your SMS number is correct and try sending a text over WiFi to another phone. 

I suspect however that your device is no longer supported.

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.

@AndyKay1  Is Wi-Fi calling enabled on the device?  You don’t say. A Wi-Fi connection doesn’t mean it’s enabled on the device as this can be switched off/on.  

From the home screen, tap Phone. Tap the Menu icon. Tap Settings. Scroll down to the WiFi calling switch and toggle it On.

Thanks Northerner. I accept that it's no longer supported, but it does connect to my router over wifi so I assume the problem isn't there. My wifi clearly works because I'm replying to you over it from my laptop. XRaySpeX has confirmed that I should be able to use SMS without a contract, so all I can think of now is that there has been a temporary loss of service. I tried to phone 150 but couldn't work out how to select from the menu on this particular phone so didn't get through.

Thanks Chris. Yes, according to the device wifi networking is ON and the device is connected to my router. I'll try again tomorrow to see if it was just a temporary loss of service regarding sms over wifi.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

@AndyKay1 wrote:

I selected my Virgin Media wifi router for wifi access and the phone shows connected.

Is there any reason why the phone won't receive text messages over wifi?

A phone can connect to a WiFi router for internet functionality without it supporting WiFi-calling.

Only if VoWiFi is available, will calls & texts over that WiFi connection, work. If not - internet functions will still work well.