cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch 4 plan "out of contract"/"service expired" and wont connect on LTE

tombuk
Investigator
Investigator

My galaxy watch 4 will no longer pair correctly with my phone. It won't connect over LTE but does on bluetooth. Everything else works normally (calling over LTE, etc.). My watch plan contract has recently started showing as "out of contract" on the web and "service expired" on the phone app. Is this related? EE chat ensures me it is 'normal' for my watch contract to show as expired, but it seems very odd to me and quite likely the reason the watch pairing isn't working properly? 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tombuk
Investigator
Investigator

For the benefit of others, this is now sorted. I don't actually know what resolved it, but the sequence was:

1. Re-pair. No LTE connection. Service was showing as expired, but as assured this was 'normal'.

2. With tech support, deleted the mobile plan and got a new one. Still no LTE connection.

3. Re-paired using a backup of data in my Samsung account. Still nothing.

4. Cleared the data cache in both wear app and galaxy manager app. This broke the pairing, so reset the watch and fully uninstalled both apps.

5. Re-installed the wear app. Re-paired, but this time I didn't use the samsung backup - I started again. This now works.

So - I expect what fixed it was actually fully deleting all saved settings and starting from scratch. No-one in tech support suggested that, but I guess it should always be the first thing to try! Thanks again to everyone that helped.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@tombuk  The Watch tariff has nothing to do with the watch and phone pairing. That pairing is just between the watch and phone.      You say calling still works on the watch so obviously you have a cellular connection.   Exactly what is not working correctly. 

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @tombuk

Thanks for coming here. 

What problems are you having with the pairing? 

Thanks.

Leanne 🙂

tombuk
Investigator
Investigator

Thanks both. The watch will now never connect to the phone over LTE. Everything else is working. 

I'm not sure its clear what I mean by 'connect'. You know when you go out of range of your phone, the bluetooth connection drops and after ~1minute the LTE activates and them the connection to the phone re-establishes - the loss if connection icon disappears and you then get your phone notifications, etc., when out of range of the phone. That is obviously what I pay for mobile plan fee for. That isn't working.

Thanks Chris. Just to reply a little more specifically to you - my assumption was that the 'pairing' between watch and phone is either over bluetooth or LTE, no? The pairing is working when in bluetooth range, but not when out of range, i.e., when I expect the LTE connection do its thing. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how the watch to phone connection exactly works over LTE.

Leanne_T

Hi @tombuk

Did you cancel the watch plan when the contract ended? 

If not, please call us on 150 and the team can get this investigated for you. 

Leanne.

Thanks for replying. I think that's the problem. Why is the contract ended? In all apps it says the contract has expired, but it hasn't, or shouldn't have. I don't want the contract to end. I did a very long 'chat' with EE and was told it was normal for the apps to say the contract has expired. Like I say, the LTE calling, etc., all works, but its still plausible to me that the watch won't connect to the phone over LTE if the service is expired.

Leanne_T

Hi @tombuk

If you call us the team can get this looked into for you. 

Leanne. 

Thanks. Trying to get an answer on the chat (again).