cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROAMING ACTIVATED AND FREE

VictorTR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi. I'll try to summarize: I started a new plan in March, or that's what I thought, with unlimited data and free roaming since I'm  a Spanish living in UK, but in summer I go to visit my country for some weeks. When I called EE on phone to select that deal I was told I would have roaming ready for May (I don't know why it would take 2 months having the roaming activated) since I wasn't going to go until July to Spain I didn't care. 

2 days ago I called them on phone too confirm I have the roaming activated and free  and they told I didn't have it, and they were going to check the phone call I had on March when I picked the tariff, and they wouldn't call me the next day (yesterday). They didn't call me, but I sent a SMS to 150 to see if roaming is activated and the automatic response was:

"We were unable to determine which Roaming product you currently have.

Great news, when in SPAIN you can use your plan's data allowance, this includes calls, voicemail and texts back to the UK at no extra cost.

Calls to countries outside the EU are £1.54 per min and texts 64p each. Picture messages are 83p and are not included in plan allowances."

Does this mean I don't have to be worried about the roaming anymore, I'm flying in one week and obviously I need the data for the 6 weeks I'll be there. 

Thanks in advance

13 REPLIES 13
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Roaming in EU is not free for contracts started after 07/07/21. There'll be a £2.29 / day charge for using your UK allowances in EU or alternatively you may buy the Roam Abroad Pass for £15 / month. 

Did you activate roaming on your EE a/c before you left UK by texting ROAMING to 150?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
VictorTR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I've just sent ROAMING to 150 and I got a reply saying I have to  call 150.

But I don't understand 2 things:

1) I selected data unlimited+ one smart benefit (free roaming), and now it's not free

2) why I got that SMS yesterday saying it would be free... 

Can anybody help me please? 

VictorTR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi. I'll try to summarize: I started a new plan in March, or that's what I thought, with unlimited data and free roaming since I'm a Spanish living in UK, but in summer I go to visit my country for some weeks. When I called EE on phone to select that deal I was told I would have roaming ready for May (I don't know why it would take 2 months having the roaming activated) since I wasn't going to go until July to Spain I didn't care. 

2 days ago I called them on phone too confirm I have the roaming activated and free and they told I didn't have it, and they were going to check the phone call I had on March when I picked the tariff, and they wouldn't call me the next day (yesterday). They didn't call me, but I sent a SMS to 150 to see if roaming is activated and the automatic response was:

"We were unable to determine which Roaming product you currently have.

Great news, when in SPAIN you can use your plan's data allowance, this includes calls, voicemail and texts back to the UK at no extra cost.

Calls to countries outside the EU are £1.54 per min and texts 64p each. Picture messages are 83p and are not included in plan allowances."

Does this mean I don't have to be worried about the roaming anymore, I'm flying in one week and obviously I need the data for the 6 weeks I'll be there. 

Thanks in advance

Ah, the Smart Benefit for free roaming is the Roam Abroad Pass. It's included in your plan & so you don't need to pay  £15 / month for it. You should be able to see it when you look at your Extras & Add-ons. Having this roaming billing add-on doesn't of itself activate roaming on your a/c. You still need to text ROAMING to 150 for that. I dunno why that is asking you to call 150 but it might be to do with being a new cust. & your credit status.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
VictorTR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I can't see it in extras and adds ons. I can see just 20% discount and WiFi coverage boost... Nothing of roam pass abroad, and as I said I'm sure I selected that plan. 

This is so weird. And I was meant to be called yesterday and they didn't call me. Now I've asked to be called and they didn't call me yet. 

I'll probably make a formal complaint after this regardless they find a solution or not. 

@VictorTR  On your EE account you need to see if you have the smart benefit selected.   You’ll find this in mobile add ons>your inclusive extras.  You need to select ROAM ABROAD PASS.  You can then use your tariff allowance in the EU. 

VictorTR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I was meant to have roam abroad pass since I selected it in a conversation in March when I switched the plan. Now I need since I'm flying to my country in ones week, not only I don't have it, but also they say they can't offer it to me because of low credit score, and they advised me to buy a sim card in the airport for my 6 week holidays there. 

I asked them if I could get the monthly abroad pass and they said no, when I could pay it instantly. 

They offered me £30 when I said I would make a formal complaint and I rejected them, since I plan to keep using EE after my holidays and not paid the bills (I don't care about the credit score since I won't be here for long). 

I'm going to make a formal complaint. 

What would you do in my situation? 

Thanks. 

VictorTR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Can anybody help me please? 

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hello @VictorTR.

Since your post have you been contacted?

If not, please get back in touch with our customer care team who can look into this further for you. 

Both @XRaySpeX and @Chris_B are right, if you have an inclusive extra this will be available to view within your My EE account. 

Please be sure to keep us updated,

Katie