cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming won’t work in US after purchasing add on and activating it in store. ?

DougBayliss
Explorer

Hi there, 

My roaming add on bundle isn’t working in the US after purchasing and activating  in store.

Any help or advice would be appreciated as I am stuck without incoming or outgoing calls here for four weeks.

Many thanks

3 REPLIES 3
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Regardless of any billing add-on, your ability to get coverage abroad (which calls, texts & mobile data rely on) is dependent on roaming being activated - which allows your phone to connect to foreign networks.

On PAYG, this is auto-enabled once your phone is used in the UK first.
On pay-monthly, this needs to be enabled manually - usually by texting ROAMING to 150 before leaving the UK. Did you do this?

If you are on pay-monthly and now find yourself abroad without having enabled roaming, your only recourse will be to contact CS to request it activated. You can either contact +44 7953 966150 from another working phone, or +44 800 0798586 using a web-calling app such as Skype over WiFi.

Thanks for the reply.

It was supposed to have been done in store by one of the ee shop assistants.

I do get the R symbol appear on the top header where it shows you the signal strength and battery percentage, but I just can’t make or receive callas or email .

I was totally stuck in LAX airport and not able to call a Taxi or anything to get me to my destination, was so peed off with this.

it’s the second time I’ve been  let down by ee while abroad. The first time I had a Huawei phone which when I stated I was going abroad and needed Roaming activated, nobody told me that the US had deactivated most of its Huawei masts.

Not amised.

@DougBayliss wrote:

The first time I had a Huawei phone which when I stated I was going abroad and needed Roaming activated, nobody told me that the US had deactivated most of its Huawei masts.

You've certainly been spun a yarn there! You may be confused with the US' 2G/3G switchoff which creates a requirement for a VoLTE-compatible devices in many areas.

There is no requirement for a "Huawei mast" to get coverage on a Huawei phone. In the same vein as EE are currently deploying a combination of Nokia & Ericsson radio equipment, which is fully compatible with both Apple & Samsung phones.