cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Activation

hubbycat
Investigator
Investigator

Could some please explain to me how does the roaming activation work? What steps do I need to take to activate it?  I can see that I have the £2.47 add-on on my account. Is texting ROAMING to 150 enough to activate it? When do they start charging me? Do I need to deactivate it after return to stop being charged? 

Thanks - Tom

5 REPLIES 5
bristolian
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

If you are on PAYG, roaming is auto-enabled once your phone is used in the UK

If you're on pay-monthly, texting ROAMING to 150 from the UK enables roaming.

Roaming itself is free of charge, regardless of any billing add-ons you choose.

So what you are saying is that to enable ROAMING all I have to do is to text ROAMING to 150 just before I leave UK. Is that correct? What do I have to do on the return?

Tom

bristolian
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

If you are a pay-monthly customer, that is correct. The roaming facility is free of charge and, once setup, remains so unless you explicitly request it removed.

Most users treat this as a one-off process, and leave roaming activated incase of future use. Removing the free facility creates scope for future issues.

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

The £2.47 daily roaming add-on is only charged on any day when you use any of your UK allowances in the EU.

The actual permission/ability to roam by texting ROAMING to 150 is itself free & need never be removed so as to cover you for future trips abroad. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Very good of you to explain this all so clearly.  We have been trying all day to find this out from EE, but it seems to be impossible to talk to an actual human.  Supposedly they were calling us back within 15 minutes, but that was 4 hours ago.   Really, really don't understand why they can't explain it clearly on the website, yes we can see there is a daily charge for using our allowance while roaming but nowhere can I find when does it start, is it paid for additionally, how is that arranged, does it start from when we turn on roaming?????

Perhaps they need to trawl the community forum and then use the questions to improve their own website!