Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fair usage of data in USA

pumpmonkey
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Our daughter has just gone to the USA to study for 9 months.  Alongside her unlimited calls/texts she has 120gb of data on her plan.

I understand a fair usage policy will be in place reducing her allowance to either 15gb or 50gb (depending what page come up when searching).

I’ve purchased the ‘Roam Abroad Pass’ fir her as we have three numbers all linked to my account.

my question is… once she hits the above usage, can I gift her some of my data? Rather than pay a surcharge etc? Also can I temporarily reduce her package? as to pay for at least more than twice the data she will be able to use doesn’t seem quite right. It’s slightly disappointing that she’ll be using her devices (tethering… I’m guessing allowed?!) to study and there’s a cap on something that’s advertised as ‘use like at home’… when clearly it’s not 😢

thanks in advance x

10 REPLIES 10
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@pumpmonkey   It’s 50Gb per month total.   Also roaming is for short stays abroad.   You can use the inclusive allowance 2 months out of any 4 month period after this time you could find yourself charged with international calls/text charges.    And no you can not reduce her tariff as you agreed to a contract and that has a fix term. 
As for it’s not right she can not use all her allowance when roaming, As above roaming is for short stays abroad and it’s only data that has a fair usage policy. 

DEA3E346-DD7E-4755-BBB4-AFB265BD1824.png

Really… that’s very annoying, that when I called to setup the monthly pass… I explained it was for 9 months and nothing was said, also when I called yesterday as our daughter is struggling to still make and receive calls (other than FaceTime etc)… they never mentioned it… only the fact that £90 for a 9moth pass is expensive!!!

ps. No little asterisk * or other symbol to incline there is a cap when purchasing the data pass… neither when you speak with an agent before setting up! (As we were billed twice when in Europe this summer (monthly pass and £2 eu daily pass added together)…

probaly best to ditch her Ee account then and get something in the USA… 🙄😡

chistery
Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

For 9 months I'd suggest a local SIM anyway. Having a local number will be more useful than a UK one. Plenty of options available out there.

50381AEA-D3E7-4206-A60A-D247E0C1E2DB.png

 Also strange how all three of us within our family have all privileges unlocked, however as soon as the daughter arrived in the USA with her monthly roaming pass, her two most valuable services get blocked… and at present can’t be unblocked…

everything was going so well too… 🙄

long chat with customer relations coming up I fear 🙄🙄🙄 

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @pumpmonkey

I think it's probably best to speak to our Mobile Care team. Hopefully they can fix this. Let us know how you get on.

Chris

If you can't enable the Roaming Abroad and the Call Abroad & Premium Rate settings of your online MyEE, you will need to call CS. Try calling CS on the Freephone no. in my sig. via Skype over WiFi. It should be free.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

If you look at the USA Country Roaming page with the  Roam Further Pass, you will see the FUP of 50GB pm: Capture.JPG

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks for that... still not able to connect and getting the 'red boxes' above saying call 150... I call 150 and they say its all working and not blocked!!! Upshot is we still cant call her and she cant call us!

Even worse is the Girl i spoke with tonight said USA is now only 20gb fair usage!  getting worse!  although she also said, she's never heard of anyone being cut off after 2 months abroad?  

I'm beginning to think EE isn't as good as they claim as the app is telling me one thing to the staff... the staff are telling me something different t the app... and the upshot is were paying £10 a month for something that not worked since we purchased...

Ps.  When I go to the Roaming Calculator link and enter her details... I get the following, noting about a fair data usage & no mention of the 2 months in every 4 has to be spent in the UK etc,  Lastly... The lady on the phone also said to turn off automatic roaming as EE have now ended their partnership with AT&T... you have to manually select T-Mobile,?

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 21.08.19.png