Help while abroad

VE7
Investigator
Investigator

Hello, I’m hoping someone can help…

I’m in the US for work, I was here last month and my phone didn’t work despite having all roaming on and set up so the tech team were able to reset something to make it work. I’m here again and the same thing has happened except this time I can’t reach anyone- the only option for help is to call a mobile which isn’t working from my phone or the hotel. The online ‘start conversation’ button isn’t appearing.

I have small kids at home, not being able to even receive a call is stressful - I’m really hoping someone can help look at what was done last time to help me and do that again?

It took a few hours to solve it on my last trip I didn’t think I’ve have this again- can anyone please help me? I’d be so grateful this has been really stressful 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@VE7 : Are you on contract or PAYG? Did you use that SIM for making calls or texts in UK before you left to go abroad?

If you are on contract, did you activate roaming on your EE a/c before you left UK by texting ROAMING to 150? Having a roaming add-on doesn't of itself activate roaming on your a/c.

Often just rebooting the phone is the simple remedy. Also try selecting a network manually rather than auto. Otherwise login to your MyEE account online & go to Menu > Account Settings > Parental and Data Controls > Roaming Abroad and also Call Abroad and Premium Rate. They will show as ticked if roaming and calling abroad is activated. If not ticked, can you activate these settings?

If you can't enable the Roaming Abroad and the Call Abroad & Premium Rate settings of your online MyEE, you will need to call CS. Try calling CS on the Freephone no. in my sig. via Skype over WiFi. It should be free.

PAYG is auto enabled for roaming as long as you've used it in the UK previously. You won't see any of those settings & don't need to change anything. If outside EU, do you have enough credit for making calls & texts from abroad?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @VE7

Welcome to the community.

Could you try manually connecting to a different available network please? Which phone do you have?

Chris

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@VE7 : Are you on contract or PAYG? Did you use that SIM for making calls or texts in UK before you left to go abroad?

If you are on contract, did you activate roaming on your EE a/c before you left UK by texting ROAMING to 150? Having a roaming add-on doesn't of itself activate roaming on your a/c.

Often just rebooting the phone is the simple remedy. Also try selecting a network manually rather than auto. Otherwise login to your MyEE account online & go to Menu > Account Settings > Parental and Data Controls > Roaming Abroad and also Call Abroad and Premium Rate. They will show as ticked if roaming and calling abroad is activated. If not ticked, can you activate these settings?

If you can't enable the Roaming Abroad and the Call Abroad & Premium Rate settings of your online MyEE, you will need to call CS. Try calling CS on the Freephone no. in my sig. via Skype over WiFi. It should be free.

PAYG is auto enabled for roaming as long as you've used it in the UK previously. You won't see any of those settings & don't need to change anything. If outside EU, do you have enough credit for making calls & texts from abroad?

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the quick reply- I’ve tried manually connecting, and also tried the network settings reset as that was suggested last time too but hasn’t helped. When I landed I had 4G just the data wasn’t working but that dropped away and now nothing works except WiFi if I’m somewhere that has it. I have an iPhone 11, software version 15.6.1

Oh my goodness that worked in parental settings!! Thank you SO much no one has mentioned that to me before - thank you SO so much for your help @XRaySpeX @Christopher_G 

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & trust it is now sorted.

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Glad you're up and running, @VE7

Enjoy the rest of your trip. 🙂

Chris

Thank you! 
So odd the texts from EE said I was all set up, I’ll make sure to check the online account too in future no one has mentioned that place before - really appreciate the quick replies