cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off mobile data from a different phone

Liz2008
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, I have an account with ee for my teenage daughter. At night I can tell my WiFi not to work on her phone, but she has mobile data. Is there a way of limiting her phone so that she cannot use mobile data at night ? Can I do this from the app on my phone? Thanks

21 REPLIES 21
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Hi @Liz2008 

If mobile data is enabled on your daughter's phone, and she has data allowance available, then I believe the answer is no.

I vaguely recollect an option within the myEE app, that I can't currently check (the app is unavailable for me) - I'm fairly sure the option is "allow purchase of mobile data", but it could potentially be "allow use of mobile data".

Depending on which of my recollections is correct, is your answer!

There's a feature called Screen Time, might be iPhone iOS only though, where you can pre limit phone usage. 

There is also Google Family Link which does similar and also allows some form of Remote Access via Apps.

I never used it or set it up myself, my Son's would probably never meet me in the Pub again if I tried to, that's the limit of my knowledge on the above, but I'm sure Google would know more

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Morning @Liz2008

Thanks for posting on the community 🙂

If you log into your My EE app and select the number from the Menu then Settings, you can turn off Use Mobile Data, and turn this back on in the morning. 

Hope this helps 🙂

Leanne. 

@EssexBoyEE wrote:

There is also Google Family Link which does similar and also allows some form of Remote Access via Apps.

Google Family Link is an excellent solution and works well, but I believe it's hardware-dependent and only available if the phone supports it.

@Leanne_T comment on the app menus is absolutely correct, and my recollection was wrong. Load up myEE > Settings > Controls. "Buy Data" & "Use data" are separate toggle switches.

Thank you 😊

Good to know, thank you. Trying to just 'trust' her but want to be informed in case she abuses that

Fantastic, thank you. 

Would I need to do this each time or can I set it to automatically do it at a set time each night?

Also, I can't actually log in to My EE at the moment, do you know if this is an issue which will be fixed soon?

Thanks

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Liz2008

Thanks for coming back to us. 

You would need to do this each time you want to turn data off. 

What happens when you try and log in? 

Thanks 🙂

Leanne.

Hi, it says along the lines of 'we are having a little difficulty right now, please try again later'.

It's been happening for a couple of weeks and when I spoke to EE last night about a different query, they said they were aware of a problem with some users