cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming data abroad in China and Taiwan

Sakujun
Explorer

My phone has always had roaming function switched on but previously when I've entered Taiwan I've had to purchase add ons in order to actually connect and use data. 

This time when I've entered Taiwan and China, my phone has stayed connected to 4G despite the fact that I've not actually purchased any roaming data -- am I getting automatically charged for it in the background because roaming is turned on? I was under the impression even if roaming is on, if I haven't purchased an add on it shouldn't work? 

Terrified of my next bill!!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bristolian
Legend
Legend

A connection to a local network in foreign countries is a good indicator that your roaming facility is active - this will enable voice calls & text messages to be made & received over a mobile network.

If you want to use mobile data over that roaming network - this is "data roaming" - then you will indeed need a billing add-on to do so.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Sakujun 

Have you checked your online account? 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.
bristolian
Legend
Legend

A connection to a local network in foreign countries is a good indicator that your roaming facility is active - this will enable voice calls & text messages to be made & received over a mobile network.

If you want to use mobile data over that roaming network - this is "data roaming" - then you will indeed need a billing add-on to do so.

Thanks for the reply. That's the part I'm really confused about though -- how am I managing to get 4G internet access despite not purchasing add ons? 

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

If you check your My EE Account, are any add-ons active, @Sakujun?

Did you buy a pass previously?

Jon