cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming and want to speak to a human being

Pennifer60
Investigator
Investigator

How do I get to speak to an actual human being and not the rubbish text service that does not answer my query.

I have a very old package with EE and also an additional handset with another package for a family member. The EE app does not make it clear enough how the 2 lines are impacted by travel abroad and the costs.

If I text the word ROAMING it responds with unclear information. For example, what is EE's definition of the EU when it comes to call/data charges?

It says "you can use your plan's minutes, texts and data while abroad in SWITZERLAND at no extra cost.

The costs from SWITZERLAND to countries outside the EU are:
Calls - £2.00 per minute to make/receive (Incl. Voicemail),
Texts - 82p to send/receive
Picture Messages - 89p per picture"

How do I fully understand what that means in relation to the UK, and Switzerland, which technically are outside the EU, or do EE group them in anyway. It says I can use my plan at no extra cost, but it also say there is a cost to countries outside the EU. Where does the UK fit into this.

What if I want to phone within Switzerland (using my UK number) to a local Swiss number. Or phone the UK from Switzerland etc etc.

Please EE -  give up on the awful text service - just allow us to speak to someone. If you are lucky enough to speak to someone then they are all really helpful.

19 REPLIES 19
bristolian
Legend
Legend

You can also view roaming costs via the online tool - https://ee.co.uk/help/mobile/roaming/roaming-costs 

Switzerland is within EE's Europe-zone, so for all intents & purposes the charging is EU-based. The daily or monthly charge applies for all calls & texts within the European-zone. Any calls outside the Europe-zone are at the additional rates listed at the bottom of the page..

bristolian_0-1714125474328.png

Pennifer60
Investigator
Investigator

Thank you for your reply and I had already looked at the page you referenced but it did not answer my query.  It still is not clear to me as the definition for the EE Europe Zone does not include the UK. It says 

Our EE Europe Zone:

Austria, Azores, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Canary Islands, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guyana, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guadeloupe, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madeira, Malta, Martinique, Mayotte, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Reunion Islands, Romania, San Marino, Saint Martin (French), Saint Barthelemy, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Vatican City (Italy).

So does that therefore mean that the UK is outside of the EU zone, and therefore their earlier text information to me applies, where they said?

ie "The costs from SWITZERLAND to countries outside the EU are:
Calls - £2.00 per minute to make/receive (Incl. Voicemail),
Texts - 82p to send/receive
Picture Messages - 89p per picture"
Please note: Turkey and Andorra are not included in the EE Europe Zone.

Thank you

bristolian
Legend
Legend

The UK is included within the EU-charging zone. The daily or monthly charge applies for calls & texts within the EU-zone back to the UK.

Thank you for the clarification. Can you tell me why the UK isn't  listed as being part of the EU charging zone? It makes it very difficult to trust what is being read when a whole country is missed off the list! 

Can you also tell me please if I want to make a call from within Switzerland (using my UK sim) to a local Swiss number - is that chargeable?

Thank you.

Thank you for the clarification. Can you tell me why the UK isn't  listed as being part of the EU charging zone? It makes it very difficult to trust what is being read when a whole country is missed off the list! 

Can you also tell me please if I want to make a call from within Switzerland (using my UK sim) to a local Swiss number - is that chargeable?

Thank you.

@Pennifer60 wrote:

A call from your EE line to a number within the Euro zone whilst roaming within the Euro-zone, falls within the daily charge.

Ok thank you. Do you mean that it falls within my daily minutes/data etc, or that there is a daily charge. I'm not quite clear which of those applies? And if there is a daily charge what is it please, my account was taken out around 2017. Thanks

bristolian
Legend
Legend

The whole premise of the EU-roaming regime is there is no per-minute or per-text charge, but a daily or monthly charge for the use of your allowances. The charge is either £2.47/day or £25/month.

bristolian_0-1714144335815.png

I'm not sure what you mean by "account was taken out", what matters is when you last re-contracted, upgraded or changed priceplans. If that was since July 7, 2021 then you fall under the current charging regime.

@Pennifer60 : There is a daily charge to use your UK allowances in Switzerland or alternatively a charge per billing month.

You may use your usual UK allowances in the EE Europe Zone with up to 50 GB (contract) or 25 GB (PAYG) data per billing month if you have more. If on contract & your contract started after 07/07/2021 there'll be a £2.47 / day charge for using your UK allowances in EE Europe Zone or alternatively you may buy the Roam Abroad Pass for £25 / billing month.

You imply your contract was taken out in 2017 but have you never upgraded since? The operative date is when your current contract started.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)