cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to avoid roaming abroad

LucyL10
Investigator
Investigator

I am travelling to St Petersburg, Russia through Istanbul, Turkey. What is the best way to avoid roaming? 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Enabling flight mode is the most reliable way of avoiding roaming - which is just the name for using your phone on a foreign network. If flight mode is on, then your phone cannot connect to foreign networks and will not incur charges for any resulting usage. Be aware of WiFi-calling which is not officially supported abroad but can sometimes work.

You could also contact EE C/S to remove the roaming functionality - this will prevent your phone connecting to foreign networks.

Disabling data roaming as previously suggested, will only stop your phone from using data on a foreign network - it won't prevent voice calls being made or received, should it be connected to a foreign network.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Switch off data roaming on your phone.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
chistery
Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

You might also want to turn off your voicemail. If you receive a call and answer it, you'll be charged.

But I might need to use my phone or laptop. Do I need a particular plan with EE and pay for that? I am travelling in a week.

Could u also specify how I can cancel voicemail? Sorry, I am a dummy, not quite technically experienced. Thank you

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @LucyL10

Thanks for coming here. 

If you text VM OFF to 150 this will remove the voicemail for you. 

For Roaming add-ons and costs if you would like to use the phone when roaming please see our Roaming Costs, Help page. 

Before you go please text ROAMING to 150, to make sure your account is set up for roaming. 

Leanne. 

If you use your phone abroad you will be roaming, so you don't want to switch it off.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Enabling flight mode is the most reliable way of avoiding roaming - which is just the name for using your phone on a foreign network. If flight mode is on, then your phone cannot connect to foreign networks and will not incur charges for any resulting usage. Be aware of WiFi-calling which is not officially supported abroad but can sometimes work.

You could also contact EE C/S to remove the roaming functionality - this will prevent your phone connecting to foreign networks.

Disabling data roaming as previously suggested, will only stop your phone from using data on a foreign network - it won't prevent voice calls being made or received, should it be connected to a foreign network.

Many thanks, Leanne! So useful and helpful! Thank you for the links as well. Informative and easy to use. I am intending to follow your advice. 

Many thanks!!!