cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive data usage in just 12 hours?!!

MahB
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

Restart for my data usage is on 11th of each month which is today (11th JULY 2023)

Today for the very first time I checked my data usage in my EE app and was shocked to see that I've already used 1.5 GB??

I was/am at home connected to my high speed wi-fi at so I decided to phone and ask why?

The person who answered my call couldn't provide any answer regarding my usage for the last 12 hours but had a look at my previous bill and blamed my instagram/ youtube and SKYPE that working in a background and using loads of data for whatever

The problem is that I don't have SKYPE, I never had SKYPE and most of the time I'm at home working from home and am connected to high speed wi-fi that I pay a lot for, therefore have no doubt that at least my wi-fi  works really good (  I'm using my mac book /watch TV among so many other things 24/7).

Anyway I disconnected all my apps from EE data to see what other excuses they have?!! The only reason I got the 10 GB per month was the fact that for the very first two years that I was with EE I used max 2 GB every month which means I used max 50GB for TWO YEARS and now since I've started my contract I'm using more that 80% of my data.

I'm very very unhappy and don't except the blames on my phone which btw is a new IPHONE 13 pro max, anyway If you have any similar experience or suggestion please share. Many thanks

18 REPLIES 18
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @MahB 

Thanks for coming here. 

Has you WiFi disconnected at anytime since you have been at home and your data has been used? 

Do you have WiFi Assist turned on? Please see the About Wi-Fi Assist - Apple Support page for information on WiFi Assist and how to check if this is set up. 

Leanne 🙂

YES, always. The wi-fi assist is on by default.
Leanne_T

Thanks @MahB 

If the WiFi drops, this would use data, it may be worth turning this off and see how you get on with the data usage. 

Leanne.

MahB
Investigator
Investigator

Yes, I had software updates couple nights ago.

dickytwo
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

One of my phones is doing the same. Unexplained data usage (operator data usage, apps show hardly anything being used) and I am on the verge of moving providers. Will be speaking to EE tomorrow and if no further forward, I will be moving.

Lesley1958
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - did you get any further with EE on this matter, I only ask as I have had similar with BT Mobile on 3 occasions, they blamed it on YouTube usage so I disabled it and it still happened, oddly enough its happening when data is 100% turned off. They then said it was my phone so I purchased a new phone which I've used since 3rd August. My billing cycle refreshes tomorrow, as of this morning my phone "data usage" says I've used 532MB this cycle, BT say I've used 5.25GB with 4.77GB of the that overnight on You Tube, none of this makes sense. 

Leanne_T

Hi @Lesley1958 

I would suggest getting back in touch with BT to get this looked into and to see what they can do to help with the increased data usage. 

Leanne.

Hi Leanne - on all 3 occasions this has happened to me I have spent untold hours on the phone to BT. I eventually managed through "help a friend" to get it escalated to Executive complaints. They again said it was You Tube usage but it was very odd as it shows I connected to data at 12.50am through to 12 noon following  day  which is just ridiculous and even more so as data was off at the time. I did ask them to look on community forum as so many people having this issue. I'm not sure they did, so you can imagine my surprise when I find same issue all over EE forum too. Only difference with EE is that one post about excess data resulted in customer being told there was an issue with You Tube recording double or even more data, that EE was aware of and customer was subsequently given the 40gb of data back. I find it unbelievable that EE are aware of an issue but BT mobile aren't when they use EE network and are both part of BT group. I was told it could be my phone so I purchased a new handset. I wait with interest to see if this still carries on. Any help you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks

Leanne_T

Sorry w have no account access on the community, if this has continued after speaking to the executive team please get back in touch with BT @Lesley1958 

Leanne.