cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domestic roaming + Stay Connected

shannonnay
Explorer

Hey guys! Does anyone know if EE does domestic roaming, and does it work if we are not on a pay monthly plan? 

I recently travelled around the UK, and my phone shows that’s I’ve used 60MB roaming data, and on the EE app it says I’ve used 50MB of stay connected data even though I still had 120GB of data left. 

3FAF896F-A075-4959-903E-CBCFC139A7A0.png

Does this indicate domestic roaming? Does anyone have any specifics of how and where this applies? Because the final leg of the trip was spent in the Cotswolds where my EE line had no signal for the full 3 days I was there but all other networks had signal and it didn’t roam on anything 

Thank you! 

3 REPLIES 3
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@shannonnay : There is no such thing as "domestic roaming". You are only roaming when you are connected to a foreign network. Your MyEE doesn't mention you had used roaming data. You were probably using WiFi data at the places you stayed.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Quite a dismissive response, and it's weird that you assumed I would have just had connected to wifi and can't differentiate that from mobile data. I am an iPhone user I know but please hahaha.

Anyway, I assumed roaming because the data usage section of my phone did show roaming data usage. I would show you a screenshot but I did just reset it last week. 

Domestic roaming has been a thing in the UK for quite a while. Back when Three was just launched, they used to roam on O2 or Orange's 2G network. I distinctly remember using a 2G network for data with Three in 2015 when I went up to the Scottish Highlands. 

https://groups.google.com/g/uk.telecom.broadband/c/1b1GE9RGNJc?pli=1

I do know that Three and EE still do have a shared 4G network in some parts, and that there is a new shared rural network initiative in this country. That's why I asked about domestic roaming.

https://mbnl.co.uk/our-site-providers-updates/

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/03/operators-sign-1bn-deal-for-95-geographic-uk-4g-cover-...

I just wanted to know if there was more information that I was missing

I'm just a nerd, I even used the chit chat forum, nothing serious, mate. 

@shannonnay   Your stay connected data is for when/if you run out of data from your allowance but you can remain connected all be it at a reduced speed, (only suitable for emails/iMessage/what’s app messages etc etc.).  Not sure why you have used that when you had data left.  
 You are correct network sharing was a thing in remote areas as it just made sense to share masts in areas that had very little use but was needed.