cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G data throttling in Europe

AR58
Explorer

I just switched to an unlimited data plan, whilst double and triple checking with the Rep that ‘unlimited’ was definitely also the case whilst roaming in the EU. I changed my plan whilst I was in Italy.

From the very minute that my plan was changed (literally) my data speed dropped dramatically. Now I have read that unlimited data is capped at 2Mbps in the EU.

Is this true?

5 REPLIES 5
Peter_C
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @AR58,

On modern unlimited phone/SIM only plans, there is a 50GB roaming fair usage policy. The 2mbps speed cap is only for Smart plan customers who have used up their standard data allowance (ie UK capped data plans) and on reserve data.

Ts and Cs List

Thanks,

Peter

Thanks.

When I was talking to the Rep and going through the contract online, I
specifically asked the question twice “Is EU data roaming unlimited as
well?” And she confirmed - twice - that it was.

No mention whatsoever of a 50GB cap.

What should I do?

--
Adrian
E: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
W: xxxxxxxxxxx
Mobile: xxxxxxxxxxx

[Mod edit: Please do not share personal details as your posts are visible to the public. Thanks!]

Peter_C
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @AR58,

There are a range of approaches you could take but I think the best first step to take would be to contact customer services and explain the situation.

Thanks,

Peter

Yep. Just spoke with support and they have confirmand that over 50gb you do get throttled back to pre-historic speeds. Not much to be done they said its their policy.

I also asked them when I signed for the 200gb if I can use it abroad and they said 'yes'. I guess berried somewhere in the T&C.

GBoydRatcliff
Investigator
Investigator

I use EE in Europe - and have had my EE contract for years, so they can't change it.

However, they DEFINITELY throttle data in Europe. I have a local SIM, if I use that I'm getting 80-120Mb/s reliably. With EE (connecting to the same antenna and service provider - Orange.fr) I get 18Mb/s if I'm lucky. I also find I have to reset my phone on a nearly daily basic because while showing connected I get no data.

EE used to be fantastic, but they're a total shambles since BT bought them (no surprise there, BT live on a monopoly, not on good service and happy customers!)