cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unauthorised extra charges

Nickyc1967
Explorer

Hi, we have just discovered that one of our phone numbers has had over £6000 of 'extra charges' being taken via a 3rd party, (Microsoft/Sony) over a 2.5 year period. The amounts all differ from £6.99 to £257.00. The phone number was sent a text to say that a £6.99 charge was being taken every month but the remaining amounts are not legitimate and no text was received regarding these charges. Unfortunately this went unnoticed until today when we were auditing the phone users on our account. I have tried, unsuccessfully to contact Microsoft but have been disconnected twice. EE say its nothing to do with them, however I am sure that they are paid to take the money and then send it on to the 3rd party, so the higher the extra charges, the more money they make. Although we take some responsibility for not spotting these unauthorised payments sooner, these charges still amount to fraud.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Nickyc1967 

Has anyone in the household got a Playstation or Xbox. 

Speak to EE and ask them to remove all account billing from your account, if these charges cannot be made then they will soon chase them up. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Nickyc1967 

I am sorry to hear this. 

Did our mobile care team place a bar on these charges for any future payments?

You can find help and support in the How to investigate a billing charge from Microsoft - Microsoft Support page for these charges. 

Leanne.

Hi Leanne

Yes we have now put a stop on any further 'extra charges' being taken, however we now need to try and recover the money that has been debited! I will check out the link you have sent me - thank you

@Nickyc1967 , I would also report this to the fraud department, there is so much scamming around, worth watching programs about scammers, there have been plenty of them, watchdog have also mentioned about scammers and fraudsters, and what to do.

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.
bristolian
Legend
Legend

This is also why checking statements on a regular basis is well recommended. I suspect you will do well to recover all these costs if you've not noticed them for over 2 years.

@bristolian , I never understand why people do not check statements, including bank statements etc on a regular basis.

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.