cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim only package rip off

Loyaltyisdead
Explorer

I moved over to a sim only contract last September so I could have a flexible option to change or leave EE at any time. Due to cost of living increases, I shopped around for a cheaper sim only deal as EE scrapped their mid range data packages and only have very little or a lot available now. I found a cheap sim only package elsewhere and went to transfer as I can't afford my current deal as my mortgage is about to go through the roof.

I requested my pac code and then discovered I've been put into a 24 month contract with EE when I came out of contact last year and moved to sim only! I never would've agreed to this as I specially wanted a package where I could leave at any time due to financial uncertainly. I am now told that there is no copy of the contract I clicked "agree" to as it's not held on my account or emailed out, for further examination, so I never became aware of the 24 month contract I was now committed to, and wasn't able to cancel, which I would've done had I realised within the 30 day cooling off period.

I am absolutely furious and feel so let down by EE, having been a customer for over 20 years, to be deliberately mislead like this by a company I've been a loyal customer of for so long. I will be going to Which and  other monitoring bodies about this.

10 REPLIES 10
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Loyaltyisdead   It says on your account how long the contract is for.   You would have also received an email if this was an online/phone sale stating how long it’s for. 
Being on a sim only contract doesn’t mean you can change networks without paying off that contract it’s still a contract for a set period time. 

it’s also a 14 day cooling of period. 

You can go to who ever you like and complain as you’ll be told did you not look at the contract term length before agreeing to it and did you not check your account once the new sim only contract started.    

No sim only contract (12/24 months) will allow you to terminate for nothing while still within the contract period.   It’s a contract for a set period of time. 

EE have confirmed that they didn’t sent a copy of the context via email. It was only available to view online when I clicked “agree” and then evaporates into thin air! Apparently I would’ve been able to save a copy but clearly this wasn’t very clear, or I would’ve done that! 

@Loyaltyisdead   Again a contact is for a fixed term and your EE account will show how long that fixed term is for it’s not flexible so you can terminate when you choose without paying off the remainder of that contract term.     It’s down to you to save anything you agreed to online also.     

Rushy23
Investigator
Investigator

I would have thought - no record or copy of the contract - no contract.

Where is the proof you agreed to something which doesn't exist except at the time? Probably my simplistic, non-legal expert view.

@Rushy23   To agree to a contract  you are shown the T&Cs of that contract and you have to click the agreement to proceed with that order.   Not downloading that when you could doesn’t mean that the agreement wasn’t agreed to.   You can not just take out a contract without agreeing to the T&Cs of that contract.   the failure here is it wasn’t downloaded that’s also it doesn’t mean it wasn’t agreed too. 

@Rushy23 : Wrong! In law a contract does not need to be written. It could've been made verbally. by the parties at the time. Now the only record of the contract would be in the memories & minds of the parties.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
So who has the proof the T&C were agreed to?

Sent from my iPhone

@Rushy23  You can contact customer services for this.   In order to agree to a contract you have to agree to the T&Cs before the order will proceed. 

Karenjanetrain
Visitor

Same has happened to me. I had 4 family phones with EE and after being conned into a 24 month 1gb sim only contract for £12.99 a month I have moved 3 of my accounts from EE. 

At no point in my phone conversation with ee was I told this was a 2 year contract. Why would I agree to that on sim only? They are completely conning customers. Once I have served my time on the last phone I will never use EE again. Loyal customer for 21 years.