cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New mobile contract £50 deposit charge

Ijmjlm30
Investigator
Investigator

Hi I have just took out a new contract with ee the phone had no upfront fee and monthly contract fee is £33 the contract is only 3 days in and my first bill is saying £83 I'm about to be charged £50 deposit for services there was no mention of this when I took out the contract with ee on the website or anywhere else this £50 just suddenly appears on my first bill can anybody help with why or how to prevent this charge.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

It's probably a refundable security deposit against roaming. It probably will be refunded after 3 months of bills paid on time in full. If you don't intend to go a'roaming ask for it back.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

It's probably a refundable security deposit against roaming. It probably will be refunded after 3 months of bills paid on time in full. If you don't intend to go a'roaming ask for it back.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thank you for the reply I just think this is so wrong for there to be no mention of this £50 until the contract as started and no way of knowing about it until I registered with my ee to suddenly see my first bill is going to be 2 and half times the agreed contract my first bill is going to be taken on 1st of December which means I'm already going to be paying the £33 in advance anyway so really don't understand why I should pay a further £50 deposit n advance do you know if this can be stopped or do I just have to end the contract after only 3 days. Thanks

Paying the £33 in advance has nothing to do with this. You always pay for your tariff in advance.

The £50 deposit is for roaming. If EE deem that you don't have good enough credit score they will add a deposit on your account in case you go abroad and run up a huge bill. This deposit is then used for that.

If you are not going to be going abroad then you can call EE to get the £50 removed and they will turn roaming off on your account so you won't be able to use your phone on your account.

After 3 months or so you can turn roaming back on and it won't cost you anymore as by then hopefully you have paid in full and on time with your bills.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below

Thanks for reply BrendonH yes I understand the £33 agreed contract is to be paid in advance I just think its wrong for ee to add a further £50 charge with no warning or mention of it until the contract starts surely if ee thinks someone doesn't have good enough credit then roaming abroad should be turned off unless you ask for it to be turned on then at least have the choice of paying the £50 deposit or not. I will give them a call thanks

It's in the T&Cs which you should have read before signing for the contract.

Even if it is mentioned in the T&Cs, as it is a contingency charge that EE may or may not make in individual cases it is wrong of EE not to warn/inform a particular user in advance that he is subject to it.

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Even if it is mentioned in the T&Cs, as it is a contingency charge that EE may or may not make in individual cases it is wrong of EE not to warn/inform a particular user in advance that he is subject to it.

They are warning you!! it's in the T&Cs. Something you should read before hand. Claiming ignorance afterwards is not a defense.

Did u get it back or did u have ro wait the 3 months thanks

Armandwes75
Visitor

I had the same experience this week with my new EE contract. Also a bill of 83£ and the contract is 33£ a month