cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of contracts things to consider!

kcurrie65
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

So My broadband and my mobile sim only contract are \ were up for renewal. I came to EE 2 years ago from BT. Rural location miles from a city so very limited investment in the fibre or mobile departments here. That said I do like to check my options at these times (end of contracts) I have had good service with my broadband  but then I would have had from most providers I think as our exchange is so small, my mobile dosent get a signal at home (no coverage and worse since they did recent upgrades but I can do wifi calls at home) but I made the calls yesterday to see what the deals were. after a bit of time ( it always takes time and you get passed about and put on hold) deals were struck and I came off the phone fairly happy! I say fairly happ because I am nearly 60! and the EE on hold music is absolutely not my cup of tea in fact I mentioned it to the agents and they agreed its was not their cup of tea, yet they hear it all day long, banging tunes that made me cringe. Those tunes could have been the deal breaker for me with EE. If EE cares and liustens please oh please do something about that music. Thank you

13 REPLIES 13
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @kcurrie65 

What about the people who do like the hold music. There are threads from people asking for the playlist.

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.
kcurrie65
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Ha ha I guess there will be right enough. That's me being an old fogie then 🤣 they should have days for different eras of music so I can go on old with classical music 😁

Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @kcurrie65 

Tbh there should be an option to turn it off, that said you shouldn't be on hold that long in an ideal world!

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.
bristolian
Legend
Legend

@kcurrie65 wrote:

Rural location miles from a city so very limited investment in the fibre or mobile departments here.

If anything, the opposite is the case. EE are leading the industry in expanding rural mobile coverage. There is always room for improvement, but installing new network sites is not as quick a process as end-users would like.

kcurrie65
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Trouble is a 4g mast could cover roughly 7km radius. 5g does about 5km so the coverage is less unless they put a new mast up in the missing bits. In an ideal world they would share masts. O2 put a mast in the village a few years back and Vodafone were going to share it but didn't in the end so EE should seize that opportunity to share the mast. The village over the valley from us has 3 operators on the same mast. Common sense over there. Overall I still find EE has the best coverage when I am traveling it's just in my home vicinity they have degraded the service with recent updates

@kcurrie65 wrote:

Trouble is a 4g mast could cover roughly 7km radius. 5g does about 5km so the coverage is less unless they put a new mast up in the missing bits. In an ideal world they would share masts.

You are confusing technologies with frequencies. Coverage propagation is dictated largely by the frequency in use, not the technology. 4G & 5G are deployed on high-bands & low-bands - a 4G800 layer will provide significantly greater coverage than a 5G3500 layer, all else being equal.

Good network planning requires a combination of high & low-band deployment, in the right locations. Site-sharing is a hugely complex area, and in rural locations planning consent can be a major obstacle. The site designs being used for S4GI & SRN rollout specifically allow for multi-operator deployment.

kcurrie65
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I am in Scotland. Your answer makes sense very technical and a lot over my head 😁 I just know where I had signal before I don't get any now

bristolian
Legend
Legend

4G & 5G are radio access technologies (RAT for short).

Coverage propagation - or "range" in your analogy - is largely dictated by the frequency, not by the RAT. EE deploy 4G on 800Mhz, 1800Mhz, 2100Mhz & 2600Mhz. 5G on 700Mhz, 1800Mhz, 2100Mhz & 3500Mhz.

Lower bands provide greater coverage but don't provide depth of capacity, higher-bands do the opposite - hence a combination is required. 5G on 3500Mhz will provide plenty of capacity but limited coverage, 4G on 800Mhz will do the exact opposite. All in - a statement of "5G travels better than 4G" is false.

Out of interest, where in Scotland are you? Feel free to be as exact or vague as you're comfortable, but I am interested in reviewing some specifics of your locality. Can you explain more about the loss of coverage, and the timescales?

kcurrie65
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

So I am in the Scottish Borders between Jedburgh and Hawick . The two masts that cover my area are 1 in Hawick and one on Blacklaw hill outside of Jedburgh. The road from where I live to Hawick is the A698. I used to be able to hold a call along that stretch of road ( 5miles) now I can't make or receive calls till on the outskirts of Hawick. Even I Hawick town centre reception is now patchy where before it was much better. When I reported it they claim there are 5 masts covering this area one they mentioned is as the crow flies about 12 miles from my home not sure where the other 2 are though