cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

digital phone interference

stephenlake1
Investigator
Investigator

since i have moved from BT to EE(BT), and installed my new router, my phone is now running out of the digital phone port at the back of the router. that's all fine (apart from the very annoying need to dial the full number for local calls). when i am backing up to the cloud or streaming the quality of the phone signal deteriorates to virtually unusable. i have proved this by closing backup during a phone call, and get instant improvement. my guaranteed broadband speed is 14m download, 1+m upload. speed check last night showed 13.5m best.

is there any way this can be improved or can i have my phone returned to land line ?

4 REPLIES 4
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@stephenlake1  it sounds line you are using all the available bandwidth when you are backing up or streaming, so there is little left for voice calls. Alas there is no way to prioritise your voice calls on the standard routers, and as the old voice network is closing, it won't be possible to go back to the old system.

Do you have any oppertunity to upgrade your bandwidth? If you enter your phone number into the BTW DSL Checker it should show if you have any options?

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL 

Post the results hiding any personal details such as your phone number, or address if you have to use that.

typical BT, doesn't recognise my phone number (only been with them for 40 years! 🙂 ), when i use my UPRN it says :-

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.
ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL availability: If shown at FTTP or SOGEA premises,ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL are not available to order due to WLR Withdrawal stop sell rules.CPs
should order FTTP or SOGEA. Copper products are only available by exception

i'm not sure if this implies that i can get fibre to property (currently on FTC which is 1Km away) 

oops, cocked up my YPRN, when i got it right, this is what i got :- 

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps)
WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date
High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 25.6 17.7 3.7 2.2 15 Unavailable Available
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 25.4 15 3.7 2 11.4 Unavailable Available
G.fast Range A (Clean) -- -- -- -- -- Unavailable --
G.fast Range B (Impacted) -- -- -- -- -- Unavailable --
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install Process
FTTP on Demand 330 50 -- Available --
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 3.5 -- 2 to 6 Available
ADSL Max Up to 2.5 -- 1.5 to 5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
SOADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) WBC SOADSL Availability Date
WBC SOADSL 2+ Up to 3.5 -- 2.0 to 6.0 Available
SOADSL Max Up to 2.5 -- 1.5 to 5.0 Available
SOADSL Fixed Rate 1 -- -- --
Other Offerings Availability Date
VDSL Multicast Available
ADSL Multicast Available
Exchange Product Restrictions Status
FTTP Priority Exchange Y
WLR Withdrawal Y
SOADSL Restriction N
FTTP is not available.
As a fibre priority exchange, FTTP has priority over other products if available at the address
As a WLR withdrawal exchange, product restrictions apply
SOADSL is not restricted at the exchange
For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.
For all SOADSL services,the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.
Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks
and within customer premises.
If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service
In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.
ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL availability: If shown at FTTP or SOGEA premises,ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL are not available to order due to WLR Withdrawal stop sell rules.CPs
should order FTTP or SOGEA. Copper products are only available by exception.

@stephenlake1   alas that does not look too promising - you are in a Fibre Priority area, but you can't yet get full fibre.

Without seeing your router stats I am not sure you will get much more speed being that far from your cabinet. But it may be worth a call to the Broadband Care Team to make sure there is not something on your line slowing things down a bit.