Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Hub Plus - DDNS, DMZ and Wi-Fi

jmclevine
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all,

I’m currently with Sky Fibre using the Sky router in DMZ mode with wi-fi turned off. The Sky router feeds my Orbi system which serves as the router. Ideally, I would have liked to do away with the Sky router but it doesn't have a modem-only mode.

I'm considering moving to EE Broadband due to the unlimited data sims and 4G back-up and wondered if anyone could help with a few questions?

I understand from searching the forums that the new Smart Hub Plus doesn’t allow you to DDNS. However, I have managed to configured this via the Orbi so that problem is solved.

Could anyone tell me if it is possible to use DMZ on the new routers and also turn off Wi-Fi. I did consider using a third-party modem but figured that if I wanted 4G backup the I would need to use the EE router?

Thanks in advance 🙂

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

With the SH+ you may turn DMZ ON (but why needs?) & turn WiFi OFF.

You must use the SH+ if you intend having Digital Home Phone.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

With the SH+ you may turn DMZ ON (but why needs?) & turn WiFi OFF.

You must use the SH+ if you intend having Digital Home Phone.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thank you @XRaySpeX.

I use Netgear Armour and Smart Parental Controls on the Orbi and it works much better when the Orbi is in DMZ mode.

I wasn't planning on using digital voice but was thinking about 4G back-up so imagine I will need the SH+?

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@jmclevine - yes, if you're planning on using Smart Hybrid Connect, then chances are you will need to use the SH+

Whether or not is will work when configured with your DMZ setup, I wouldn't like to say as I've no personal experience doing this.