cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use the Smart WIFI plus on it’s own, connected to my own network?

Ar5had07
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I don’t use the Smart Hub Plus. But I would like to use the Smart WiFi plus device as it’s wifi6. Can I just connect it to my own switch and use it as an access point connected via Ethernet? 

I tried connecting the smart WiFi plus to my own switch and the light is now blue/aqua. But I don’t see any SSID broadcasting from it in the WiFi settings of my phone.

any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8
JimM11
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@Ar5had07 Login to the router on web interface 192.168.1.254, you may have to change to wpa2-personal to see the ssid.

Router does not have an access point mode setting, so you may have some trouble with that.

Ar5had07
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

This is the IP that was given to the Smart WiFi plus router on my network. I use the 192.168.0 subnet.  I can’t connect to the 254 you mentioned and neither the IP that it was given to on my network. 192.168.0.57

IMG_1764.png

JimM11
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@Ar5had07 Then you will have to connect an ethernet cable direct from a pc to the router, by default it's ip range is 192.168.1.x until both are on the same subnet you will not be able to connect...

You would be far better purchasing and AX access point that you can ethernet backhaul than trying to turn the EE router into something that it more than likely cannot do. It is a very locked down router.

Ar5had07
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I’ve already got a semi business grade setup on the Omada ecosystem. It’s just that my APs are wifi5. I’m gonna purchase some wifi6 ones but I thought I could use this for now.

JimM11
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@Ar5had07 There is not a huge speed difference between AC and AX wi-fi on a good wireless network. Something like 7% increase so don't be surprised by the speed difference. Jim

me1231
Investigator
Investigator

I was wondering about the same , can I use SmartWIFI SW30A with my own ASUS Router.

Im in situation when using WPS, only flash blue, when connect through Ethernet is solid Blue, IP assigned to extender but cannot connect with 

Any way to use device or its only working with EE SH+(what I`m not using due my network configuration)

JimM11
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@me1231 Unless you can find some way to get management of the EE wi-fi booster it may not be possible. You should look at some of the Asus RP range to match your router, they do work in all modes and can be managed.

@me1231 : Only the EE Smart Hub Plus (SH+), model no. SH31B goes with the EE Smart WiFi Plus, model no. SW30A. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)