Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PROBLEM CONNECTING BLINK SYNC MODULE TO SERVERS THROUGH EE SMART HUB

Andrew288
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

I’m reaching out to see if anyone has a solution to connecting my Amazon security camera  BLINK Sync Module (1st generation) to the Blink servers. The module acts as an interface between the cameras and the Blink servers.

When trying to connect the module to the Blink servers through my EE Smart Hub the module lights change from flashing blue & solid green to red and the module is unable to connect with the Blink servers. I then get the message that the password is incorrect - it isn't, I've double checked.

For background, I’ve successfully connected the module to my LAN (the Hub’s network map indicates "Blink DHCP" is connected); the Firewall is at its default setting, allowing all outgoing connections and blocking all unsolicited incoming traffic, but games and application sharing is allowed (the "default" alternatives are "blocking all" or "disabled"; both of which are clearly not appropriate); the Hub is using IPv4 protocol and I’ve separated the wifi channels to ensure that the module connects with the Hub’s 2.4GHz channel (Blink can’t accommodate the 5GHz channel). I’ve also temporarily changed my wifi password to remove special characters (I understand the Blink system has difficulty with such characters).

The sync module connected to the Blink servers with my previous router (TP-Link Archer VR600-V2), but falls down with the EE Hub. Blink Customer Support were responsive, but ultimately were unable to solve the problem since the issue appears to lie with the EE Hub.  I am reluctant to revert to my previous router to solve the problem. Nor do I think it likely that upgrading to the 2nd generation synch module will help – although I stand to be corrected if others have found that the later generation works with the EE Hub.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem and found a solution please? Thanks in anticipation.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

There have been a few similar questions and solutions if you do a quick search on here.

Here is one with a solution https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Landline/Blink-sync-module-won-t-connect-to-new-EE-hub/td-p/... 

HTH

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
JP162
Explorer

Hi Andrew,

I have exactly the same issue with our Blink connecting, saying password is incorrect or misspelt.  I have gone though everything numerous times and still having the same issue. 

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

There have been a few similar questions and solutions if you do a quick search on here.

Here is one with a solution https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Landline/Blink-sync-module-won-t-connect-to-new-EE-hub/td-p/... 

HTH

Andrew288
Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for the contributions. I’ve previously done a hard reset of the sync module, but that had no effect. EE are  now sending me a new router, so I’ll see if that has any effect. If all else fails, I’ll purchase the sync module 2nd generation and see if that connects. I’ll provide a further post if I have success.

Hi Andrew,  I have the sync module 2nd generation, but it was still happening.  The only way to connect was to reconnect my BT modem.  I contacted EE and spoke with the technical service team and they said everything I tried was right.  He advised me to keep the BT modem and send the new EE modem back and it may not have been compatible with the Blink system.  The Blink is now up and running again. 

Andrew288
Investigator
Investigator

Thank you JP, I have now been successful in connecting my 1st generation module with my current (rather than new) EE router. I had to reset the module several times, but eventually the module appeared to connect with the Blink servers as it downloaded new firmware. After download completion I reset the module and it now interacts with the cameras.  The app shows the module firmware as version 4.5.17.

However, while I can now see live views through the cameras and can disarm/arm them, they don't appear to record clips for saving on local storage. I've checked the app to ensure it's set for local storage and the app registers when the USB stick is removed/reinserted. I'll investigate further and, again, I'll provide a post if I have success.

Andrew288
Investigator
Investigator

Further to my post at 9:50 am on 11 May, the Blink sync module has now been updated to 4.5.20. Full functionality has now been restored, with clips being recorded. I hope this is helpful for those experiencing similar difficulties.

JimM11
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@Andrew288 It would be good if you could list the model numbers of the routers that you have, with working and not working on each should others check the post. 👍

Andrew288
Investigator
Investigator

It turned out not to be a problem with the EE routers. My old router (grey/black frontage - which I’ve packaged up for return to EE) eventually connected to Blink and the new router (white frontage, with a centre circular light) does so too. Both the old and new routers are for fibre-to-cabinet (not full fibre to home). My assumption is that the difficulties I experienced were subsequently down to the firmware I had on the Blink system, which has now been updated and the system is fully working.