cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming lag since change to smart hub plus

grundy1973
Investigator
Investigator

I recently changed from the smart hub and smart WiFi thinking that having WiFi 6 would be an upgrade. Boy was I wrong, the WiFi on the smart hub plus and smart WiFi plus is awful. Lags like hell. 

To get the so called upgrade I had to change from fibre essentials 50 to the full works plan. Costing me more per month.

I called EE and asked to be reverted back to my previous fibre essentials package and smart hub and smart WiFi. This was refused as I was 4 days past the cooling off period. Absolutely shocking customer service not allowing this for a loyal customer. 4 mobile contracts, Apple Watch sim, home broadband and digital voice.

they offered me 2 extra discs which I don’t need and maybe £100 credit to my account. Rubbish! That doesn’t solve the laggy WiFi.

What can I do? I don’t want to leave EE, I just want to revert back to my previous contract.

maybe I should go down the unfit for purpose route?

Any help would be appreciated 

4 REPLIES 4
Stuart-H
EE Community Support Team

Hi @grundy1973 

Thanks for posting, sorry you've found the change over to the smart hub plus to be quite laggy, from your previous experience.

Changing to wifi 6 certainly should offer an improvement. Can I ask, have you tried it without Smart Wifi connected I am just curious if it could be a faulty router causing this issue.

I've sent you a private message asking for some details to take a look at this for you.

Thanks

Stuart

debus68
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I’m also having this issue with a lot of games with the new smart hub plus and smart wifi. Call of duty modern warfare 3 will not allow me to even log in, found out the only way to get into call of duty is with either ethernet cable or completely disconnect the smart wifi and have just the router solo but even then on ethernet is takes about 30 seconds to connect on multiple pcs which means start up apps fail and you have to re-sign into them and on wifi it really badly lags.

I wonder if it’s EE trying to force users to buy the WiFi enhancer addon I’ve been reading about. Gaming mode which reduces lag.

trysyoung
Visitor

Exacly same experience with me. Basic web browser speed tests all look fine - faster speeds etc, but gaming on the xbox is massively laggy, Netflix keeps pausing and the router range is bad. I figured same as grundy1973 - that EE are trying to get you to pay the additional monthly WiFi enhancer. I ended up buying a third-party router (£50) from Argos - TP-Link.

Xbox and Netflix greatly improved, range is waaay better. Had to connect laptop to new router with RJ45 AND call EE to get their username/password details to make it work (turn the orange 'no internet connecion' light green), but tbh they were totally helpful and, boom, much better internet eperience now.