SW30A Extender

pgwood
Investigator
Investigator

I am not sure if this is in the correct topic or not, if not please advise somewhere more suitable to post

We have just had the system at home upgraded using the later EE SH31B smart hub and a couple of SW30A extenders.

Can the Ethernet port on the rear of the extender be used as a hard wired connection to the network? I have a piece of equipment that requires a wired network connection as it does not have WIFI, it would be easier to plug into this rather then run a cable back to the hub. I asked the installation engineer, he confirmed it could be done but having tried it does not seem to work. maybe I am missing something?

Paul

4 REPLIES 4
bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@pgwood - you should be fine plugging a network device into the extender; as long as the extender is paired successfully with the hub then I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Hi @bobpullen  thank you for the response, the units seem to be paired and the indicator is a steady Aqua, I'll give it another go, the other think I noticed on the actual EE App is that two of the extenders (I have 3) show that they are too far away from the hub (although I have tried having them close to the extender that is working) despite the Aqua indication. 

I assume these can be paired together such that they will extend the range further away from the hub and not all need to connect to the hub itself. we have an area of the house that seems to need maybe 2 'steps' of extender to provide a reliable signal. 

Unfortunately the engineer I had here to set all this up seemed more interested in getting to his next call (or finishing for the day) rather then checking all these issues before leaving. 

Sorry for the questions. 

Paul

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

I think they should 'daisy chain' yes, if that's seen as the optimal method of connecting back to the network.

It might be useful to see if the Hub Manager aligns with what the app is telling you (Advanced Settings > Wireless > WiFi Extenders). On that page, you can highlight each extender and it will tell you thinkgs like what band it is connected on and what the signal strength it.

Thanks for your help and patience

All very strange. All 3 extenders are showing the aqua light, 2 of them are showing connected on the AdvancedWirelessscreen/my-extenders, I have plugged a PC and network cable into one of the connected units, the inbuilt diagnostics say it is connected (and this changes when I remove the lead) but I cannot access the internet on it. 

The 3rd extender that is not connected, does this have to be paired with the 'hub' (which is how it was done) or the next extender in the row? 

I will continue my investigation/diagnosis.