cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Mesh with Smart Hub Plus

duncanm93
Visitor

I've just received the Smart Hub Plus and my service starts tomorrow. I currently have an old BT smart hub 2 (I think) with the black extender discs although assume I'll be sending these back soon! 

My question is if an extender that is in the Open Mesh standard will work with the Smart Hub Plus? For example something from TP Link that is Open Mesh compatible?

I know I could use an extender with a different SSID that would need to be connected to and switched between around the house but I have liked the flexibility and ease of the mesh system. I'm also aware of systems like the Deco system as a replacement for the Smart Hub Plus but my question is to do with using the Smart Hub Plus and creating a mesh network. 

Thanks in advance

1 REPLY 1
JimM11
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@duncanm93 To your first point. DO NOT rush out and send any off the BT equipment back to them yet, are you moving from BT of your own choice, or having forced migration to the newEE from BT? There are a few BT customers who have been extremely unhappy with the newEE router and its operation in comparison to there older BT hub, which is pretty damn good...

Unfortunately THE BT mesh disk are completely in-compatible with the new EE Superhub+, it has it's own designed mesh system and assume that you were not prepared to pay the extra to have it....

Mesh is not difficult, but it is all about wi-fi channels not clashing and co-operation between devices. Basic operation is to have the same ssid (wifi name) so as you move about your devices follow seamlessly around the network. Sticking to the same make help's with the ease of operation, unless you know what you are doing. I have EE router,  Asus xt8 Router, RP-AX58 and Tp-Link Powerline with Wi-Fi all in mesh and transmitting wi-fi, but i have controlled the channel's especially in the 2.4ghz band, and they are all working fine with no issue. Replacement option depends on what type of service you have from EE regarding connection of the router device, so keep that in mind.