Router Help

StuartFaust
Explorer

Hi , looking at joing EE with a 900mb broad band deal.

I need to know if i can put the router supplied into modem only mode and use the router i currently have?

Also if i have a land line via IP can i still use the modem in modem only mode?

4 REPLIES 4
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@StuartFaust   there is no need to use the EE router, you could just connect your router direct to the ONT.

HOWEVER

If you have EE's Digital Voice, then the EE router must be used and it can't be set to modem only mode. If your Landline is supplied by another VOIP provider there would be no need for the EE router.

StuartFaust
Explorer

I have a asus rt-ax82u router setup via vigin , i was hoping to just plug it into the modem/router provided and leave all the settings as they are.

That could work, you could switch off the WiFi on the EE router and just use it for the EE Digital Voice if that is what you will have.

However you would get double NAT which may be an issue for you.

juiceof2limes
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I have my ASUS RT-AX86U as main router connected to the EE SH+, only because I have EE version of Digital Voice. As @Mustrum mentions, if you do not have Digital Voice, then there would be no need to use the EE supplied hub.

My setup has been in place like this for quite a while now, previously the same when with BT and their hub.  And yes, while there is the potential issue of double NAT, I've not not experienced any issues nor seen anything that I can say is caused by double NAT. All my services work as expected, including VOIP services, VPN to office, no lag etc.

If you do go down the route of using both routers, just decide which one you are using for WIFI and switch the other off to avoid channel issues or set both routers to use different channels to avoid overlap/interference.  You also need to think about DHCP as both routers would have this service active although to different IP ranges.  Personally, I do not use the EE WIFI and thus DHCP is not an issue for me.