cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet from PC with static IP BT/EE Smart Hub SH20A

Soicemuseum
Explorer

Hello everybody,

My PC has a static IP assigned since it acts as an internal server (web, file, media) on my home network.

This arrangement has been working satisfactorily for past decade with multiple routers and ISPs.

Recently changed to BT/EE.

With new Smart Hub SH20A router, the PC/server can be accessed from other devices on my internal network (all good so far), but it cannot access external web addresses from its web browser.

Confirmed on same subnet, tried static IP addresses both within and outside DHCP range.

NOTE: this relates to a static IP address on the internal network (LAN), not external static IP (WAN).

Any guidance appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Soicemuseum
Explorer

I've resolved it: the PC/server gateway address was not matched to the new router (ending .254).

Nota bene: the static IP must be outside the range of the router's DHCP addresses.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Did you either:

1. Fix the local IP of the PC on the PC itself (outside the range of the router's DHCP) OR
  2. Allow the PC to obtain its IP auto & set its IP at the router to "Always Use this IP"?

You may find the latter to be more flexible & foolproof.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)