cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet connection

Marcus1854
Investigator
Investigator

Hello, I’ve now been without internet for three weeks. I ran out of contract in September and my router is very, very old. It conked out one day and did all the usual: restarted and rebooted etc but this time it didn’t work. Oddly Wi-Fi was connected but not internet. Ethernet connection. Was gone. So after 2 days contacted EE. They checked and said it was an external fault so Openreach came out. Guy couldn’t find anything wrong, changed the sockets etc and left with Wi-Fi now not working.

My old router packed in so I took out an EE Bright router I’d never used to connect. It got into Wi-Fi no problem but couldn’t set it up properly due to no internet connection.

Btw Sky box said router was connected but still FAIL re: on demand.

Contacted EE again who again sent out an Openreach engineer (they didn’t show on the first appointment) and again this time the guy said he had it working yet he couldn’t connect me to the internet. He then said I’ll phone you from the exchange just to check, He never did.

So I bought a brand new router (as I know both of mine were old) now have the same problem in that I can’t get it set up due to no internet connection.

I phone EE and they said they would call me. That was last Tuesday.

My phone line is working and EE can test the line so I don’t know what is wrong.

live reinstalled windows and many other drastic measures now but I am completely lost.

I have decided to move to Sky Broadband for ultra fast fibre. But that is three weeks away.

I am frustrated that EE cannot seem to fix my problem. Anyone ever been in such a predicament?

20 REPLIES 20
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

Which EE BB package are you on? Which router did you buy?

What lights are showing on the router?

What does it say after you log into the router:

• For a BrightBox: in the Internet section on the initial Status page or
  • For a Smart Hub: on the Advanced Settings > Broadband > Internet page?

Obscure your names & any digits in the BB Username but post the 1st 2 parts of the (Broadband) IP address. This might tell us at which stage EE have got to.

Is this for ADSL BB or Fibre? Which original router, BrightBox 1 or 2 or Smart Hub?

Does the landline phone work? Do you get a dial tone? Does it announce your correct no. when you dial 1470 17070?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi, thanks for replying so quickly. Here’s the answers to your questions as best as I can do so:

Which EE BB package are you on?

Im now on a rolling EE contract for broadband.

Which router did you buy?

I have EE Brightbox 1 Router and

TP-Link VDSL/ADSL Modem Router TD-W9970 

What lights are showing on the router?

ALL lights are green on both routers. They connect to Wi-Fi but I can’t set them up because I don’t have an internet connection.

What does it say after you log into the router:

• For a BrightBox: in the Internet section on the initial Status page or
  • For a Smart Hub: on the Advanced Settings > Broadband > Internet page?

Obscure your names & any digits in the BB Username but post the 1st 2 parts of the (Broadband) IP address. This might tell us at which stage EE have got to.

The EE Brightbox page on the net doesn’t get past the first page (the one that says “if nothing happens in 5 minutes restart” or words to that effect)

for my TP-Link I’ve tried to connect it via my iPad and I get through to the final bit but it says “Sorry no internet connection”.

I checked my login details with EE. They said they were correct.

Is this for ADSL BB or Fibre? Which original router, BrightBox 1 or 2 or Smart Hub?

ASDL

Does the landline phone work?
YES

Do you get a dial tone?

YES

Does it announce your correct no. when you dial 1470 17070?

YES

Openreach have twice been out saying there is no fault yet EE check my connection every time I phone up and say the line is working etc.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

If all lights are green on your routers you have a full BB connection all the way down to a full internet connection.

I need to see the full router stats from 1 or other of your routers.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Thank you now how do I do that?

Post your full router stats:

• For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings > System > DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.
  • For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information. Obscure your names & any numbers in the BB Username & also the SSIDs.
  • For other routers: login to it according to the label on it as the admin user & navigate looking for its router/connection statistics.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

Thanks for your help I will do so when I get home tonight and will post what I find.

Really appreciate your advice. Thanks again and I will post later.

Sent from my iPhone

Hi once again thanks for your help so far. I have got to the admin homepage and I have followed your instructions.

Here’s what I have:

8DB5255A-B155-4D6A-8DDE-E8B9CA758884.jpeg61F24746-9D3A-45AD-A9AF-FDA4F630185D.jpegFD0FCC9D-5235-4816-9BA6-87548F7E12F8.jpeg4A8E0543-5821-47A5-9506-FD44C499D916.jpeg
Hope this info is okay. Once again thanks for taking the time to reply.

752D1E5B-B8A2-4D30-BC34-CB8D6AEF940D.jpegD055059D-32A1-4E69-B410-8154ED947CD0.jpeg

I have noticed on one of the images above I have no IP address. So perhaps that is it? If so how do I fix it? But sorry, I will leave the analysis to you.

I included the other image of the Ethernet as it is connecting but as you can see no internet.

Only other thing is that the username isn’t what I think it is nor what EE told me when I phoned up. But again I shall leave it in your good hands. Thanks.