cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Broadband has more than halved in speed from 74mps

Antx777
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone, first post ! Not surely the forum format, but I’ll have a go! 

As per the title, “My Broadband has more than halved in speed”, (from 74 Mb/s to 32 Mb/s download)

So then, I upgraded from my “non-fibre” plan (which was about 12 Mb/s down, and 1 Mb/s up) to the “fibre plus package”: 74 Mb/s down/18 Mb/s up, and  everything was fine for nearly  2 years and was very satisfactory.

However, since about the end of December 2022 my download speeds have dropped to 32 (Mb/s) with an upload of 13 Mb/s.  These speeds may seem sufficient for most people  (a single 4K is fine with this speed), but as a multi-user, it falls short of what I need- but on what I HAD —  74Mb/s.

I’ve not contacted EE just yet (save a few texts for refreshes etc), but I’ve  done a few tests/changes etc, myself.   I’ve also experimented with different channels, and even done a full factory reset - all to no avail, still the same speeds.

Now I understand that 34 Mb/s minimum speeds are guaranteed on Fibre-plus (which I am on) and comes pretty close to the  32 Mb/s I get. But now, however,  with about a 60% drop in speed, I’m concerned that I’m paying for something I don’t have (£36.54 Per-month).  The non-fibre plus is roughly what I feel I’m paying for (36 Mb/s estimated/18 Mb/s minimum) - even though I’m above that minimum.

So with all the above said, can anyone point me as to what’s happened? Nothing has been touched around the phone area (I have no phone) same filter, though I’ve tried others.

posted an image below if that helps (it says 35/15 (down/up) but don’t get that on Speed-test/youtube/Netflix etc., but more like 31 Mb/s

https://broadband.ee.co.uk/select-your-speed

Thank you.  

Anthony.  

E1E0C560-A0E7-422C-8659-DD11FC08C82F.jpeg

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks XraySpeX

The engineer came very early  this morning (though a afternoon visit was booked)!

He was here about  90 mins, and he  put me a new telephone socket in the lounge to replace the old one (that was much appreciated ). And  after a few tests, he got it up no running to the speeds I had last time (almost) 71Mb/s down/18.5 Mb/s up. 

As my modem was reset,new wires, location and soon, was told it will take a while to settle down. 

Thanks. 

Anthony.   

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34
XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats:

• For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings > System > DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.
  • For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information. Obscure your names & any numbers in the BB Username & also the SSIDs.
  • For other routers: login to it according to the label on it as the admin user & navigate looking for its router/connection statistics.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Antx777
Contributor
Contributor

AEBDB7F7-52F2-43C1-BDEA-27170FCE8DD5.jpeg

Antx777
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks XraySpeX

Posted a screen-shot above.    Unfortunately I Don’t have access to a Ethernet cable/wired test, as only my my LG-TV/iPad/mobile devices are available. 

Regards..

Thanks

Mustrum
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@Antx777  the chances the automated DLM has reduced your speeds due to noise or breaks on your line. If you dial 17070 option 2 is the line quiet = if not repost a phone fault.

Sight of the info requested above will help, however it seems an engineer is needed to resolve your problem, so the sooner a fault is reported the sooner it will get fixed.

https://ee.co.uk/contact-ee/technical-support/broadband-landline 

Antx777
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply Mustrum.

I Don’t actually have a landline phone anymore, so I can’t  perform the Dial-option you mentioned in your post.   However,  I’m now texting HELP to 60071 (Via Text Message)  I think I did this before, with conflicting messages.  

I’m now waiting for a response and will post tomorrow when I hear from them/It.

Regards

Anthony 

Mustrum
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@Antx777  an old fashioned phone is one of the best tools to work out phone line based broadband problems. But good that you have fault reported, please do let us know how it goes, it will hopefully help others in the future.

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

2. Can you then do the speedtest over WiFi?

3. I'm still waiting for the BTw Availability Checker estimates.

If your BB comes with landline voice services but you are just not using them, are you able to get hold of a cheap handset so we can check for noise on the line?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Good morning 

Yes, I can do speedtest over wi-fi, and my connection is fine- just SLOWER!   

I text them this morning and got this:   “Hi, it's the EE Diagnostics bot here.
We have found a fault and we need to send an engineer to restore your service.
Sometimes engineers need to access your property on the day, so please make sure someone is home during your appointment time.
Reply just the word "NEXT" to book the next available slot in your area””

So it looks like I’ll be having an engineer coming Thursday/Friday.. I may have an older headset somewhere, but I’ll leave it to the engineers I think.   

Thanks. 

Anthony. 

An Update.    

I spoke to one of the Advisors this morning (11.15 am) , and they have arranged to have an engineer to come and see me tomorrow afternoon, 1pm -6 pm.    A very helpful staff member talked me through the process of my problem (with the line).  Also,  he was able to get my speeds back up to 72 Mb/s/18.5 Mb/s (download/upload) temporarily  from his end, but he said that the fault on the line may slow it down again, so an engineer is required.   

Thanks, and I’ll keep you updated tomorrow on the progress made.

Anthony