cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem fault, speed reduced over night

kraftyuk79
Investigator
Investigator

I have a modem that overnight went from running great to unusable speed, around 0.5mbs.

I have tried new cables, factory reset other than that, it could be a fault with the modem OR because EE are now part of Plus net which is the reason i left plus net because i had nothing but bad speed and disconnections constantly.

Here's a speed test link and below that my DSL Status

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1709126798782626655

DSL STATUS
This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Fibre/Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.
STATUS
Configured Current
Line Status -- UP
Link Type -- Interleaved Path
Operation Mode Automatic G.992.5 (ADSL2+)
DATA RATE INFORMATION
Upstream 1276 (Kbps)
Downstream 283 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 7.8 (dB) 30.1 (dB)
Line Attenuation 21.3 (dB) 36.5 (dB)

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 12.6 (dBm) 0.0 (dBm)
Fast Path FEC Correction -- --
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 0 0
Fast Path CRC Error -- --
Interleaved Path CRC Error 0 0
Loss Of Signal Defect 0 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR -- --
Interleaved Path HEC Error 0 0
Error Seconds 0 0
STATISTICS
Received Data 4638 (Kbits)
Transmitted Data 284 (Kbits)

Many thanks if someone can help with this

I tried the BT Broadband checker but my connection from home is so slow it times out.

Thanks

Dave

10 REPLIES 10
kraftyuk79
Investigator
Investigator

I also need to add i thought it might be the weather that has caused it but i cant get any info from EE if there are connection issues in my area, i followed all their instructions and text help and let them refresh and reset my system from their end which didn't help.

The broadband has a minimum guaranteed speed of 2.5 mbs because i cant get fiber, and 0.5 at best is appalling.

I have nothing else to add...

@kraftyuk79  it looks like you are still getting disconnects and will need to speak to the broadband care team so that Openreach can investigate and fix your line.

Whilst EE and Plusnet are part of the BT Group they are run separately, but like other suppliers use Openreach lines, so moving suppliers when you have a faulty line is pointless or at least will not fix a faulty line.

HTH

I'm not having very good luck using and navigating through the help links, this is the first time I've even heard of the broadband care team. Is there a link to this team because I've already exhausted all my other options, other than considering buying a third party router?

Thanks

kraftyuk79
Investigator
Investigator

I think its the modem, is there a service that can provide a replacement?

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

What sync speed do you usually get? I make it about 10 Meg.

Locate the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (QLT), dial 17070 Opt 2, preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Reboot the router & plug it into the test socket. Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@kraftyuk79   you can find more details on how to contact them on this help page:

They are also the team to sort out a new router, which I assume you mean, and you are not also using a modem?

But given you would have got a new router and were having the same issues with plusnet, a line fault is more likley.

https://ee.co.uk/contact-ee/technical-support/broadband-landline 

Contact us about your broadband and landline

Text EE for a call back

If you need help with your broadband, text HELP to 66033

If you need help with your landline, text PHONE to 66033

Charges may apply at your standard rate.

1. We’ll run tests on your connection to find out what’s going on.
  2. If you need an engineer, we’ll text you in 15 minutes to book a slot.
  3. If you don’t need an engineer, we’ll call you within 30 minutes to help solve your issue.

Opening hours:
Monday to Friday, 8am to 9pm
Saturday and Sunday, 8am to 8pm

Call us

Monday to Friday, 8am to 9pm
Saturday and Sunday, 8am to 8pm

From your EE mobile

From any other phone

0330 123 1105

Calls are free from an EE number. Charges may apply if you call from another network.

Text relay and sign language services

To make a text relay call using the Relay UK service, dial 18001 in front of the following number:

07953 966 150

Contact us through a sign language interpreter

kraftyuk79
Investigator
Investigator

I had an EE engineer at mine on the 1st March to test everything and it appears to be a problem with the exchange. He said it would just take a couple of days to come back on. Any updates on this getting resolved today would be great.

The reference number for my fault is *********.

Thanks

dave

kraftyuk79
Investigator
Investigator

My case number is *******

The Internet started dropping in speed on February 24–25, then got progressively worse by February 27th, i put in a message in this community for help, which I followed.

The EE engineer arrived on Thursday, February 29th, did all the checks, said it seems to be a fault on the outside as everything worked fine, and called Openreach to investigate any faults. There was, and BT Openreach confirmed that it would be resolved within a couple of days through the EE Engineer.

I contacted EE again on Mon 4th march to see if there was a reason this hasn't been resolved and the support i called booked an BT Openreach Engineering to come in and test my line and modem, exactly what the EE Engineer had done previously. Same result, the BT Openreach engineer confirmed there was nothing wrong with my line or modem from the inside and said there's a fault at the exchange.

Nothing resolved so far, im still running at or below 0.28 mbps and im at my wits end.

The last one and half years with EE was fine until now, this has been the worst communication and help I've had than when i was with PlusNet.

If i could get any help resolving this i would be extremely grateful, i may not even decide to cancel my contract early even though EE has broken the deal their side. I did end up canceling my EE mobile plan because i was out of contract and moved my mobile to TalkMobile because of the situation.

I wont be continuing my contract if this caries on much longer, im sure there are others that have walked for less.

@kraftyuk79   no one has account access on here and EE do not have their own engineers that would come to your home. It sounds that the first one may have been a Qube engineer that can be sent if the care team suspects a connection in your home. They do not have direct access to Openreach and would need to via the Broadband Care Team.

You need to keep in touch with the Broadband Care Team for updates and progress reports.