cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency / Ping Spikes after upgrade - Hub and Internet problems.

TrueWill
Investigator
Investigator

Hello All
i have a query and i hope someone has the solution.
Ive called the help line and it sends a text for me to reply FAULT etc, but it doesnt find a "problem" with the service....
Essentially the issue is:
Latency Spike - Since the upgrade from Full Fibre 100 to Full Fibre 500 which became effective from today 27/04/2024. 
I received the new BT/EE Smart Hub Plus which is to replace the BT Smart Hub 2. I installed the hub and tried the net speed, initially it went to 190mpbs (approx 21mb). Then i tried to play any games that requires constant / consistent internet connection, i started to receive latency spikes from 20ms to 1094ms etc, it happens at every 20-30 second intervals and its terrible. It would seem this is the problem for video calling as well, which would be quite a problem for work.
I reset the hub etc, things that the IT or helpdesk would advise and still got the same problem. I looked on the forums and it would seem a lot of people have a similar issue. I tried the SmartHub2 again and it doesnt spike in latency but when i test the net im only getting 70mpbs (9mbs). But then that defeats the purpose of paying more for the "faster internet".
Has anyone resolved the problem with the new smart hub?

Many thanks

William 

16 REPLIES 16
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Your units are up the creek! 190 Mbits/sec ~= 21 MBytes/sec. 'm' means "milli" & would never be used in this context.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
JimM11
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@TrueWill In your testing, are you using Ethernet or wireless wi-fi, the figures you are quoting seem poor even for wireless, the BT superhub should be capable of working on a 500mb/s fibre connection, especially on Ethernet.

allyjaay
Investigator
Investigator

Your not the only person having issues with the new smart hub plus .... Everything ethernet connected is fine but WiFi is awful! Things not connecting and latency spikes are horrid 

JimM11
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@allyjaay Anyone who is trying to game play should ideally be using a ethernet connected device, wi-fi is not the way to go.

Have not had one problem with any device connecting to the EE superhub+, from wireless N to AC to AX wi-fi 4 to 6. Kept same ssid from old router, matched password on ssid, and change admin password for router, selected wpa2 - personal #, some devices get confused and jump on 2.4ghz instead of 5ghz but there is nothing mission critical for me to worry about, at least daughter has not said ps4 or 5 are causing her any issues YET but who knows....  

It is via WIFI, i shall amend the above. thank you

Oh gosh so potentially a product defect on a mass level?

But the thing is that with the previous hub etc i wasnt havent any problems via Wifi.
Also its really not convenient or viable to connect via ethernet due to layout of my house.

JimM11
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@TrueWill That is always the issue with cable to the device, and there is nothing stopping you from putting the BT hub back on and fighting your case for it, The new EE hub, i would say is in the early stages of trying to get it right, so may come good or it may not. Who knows, it has it good points but it also has some bad ones, the app is a bad one as far as i would say.

My daughters PS4 and PS5 are on wi-fi, but i put hers through an Asus repeater rather than direct via the EE router, and 1 month in she has not complained yet, but i know nothing about games so hope that she does not raise problems then i will have to deal with it at that point. Also all devices are on fixed IP both wireless wi-fi and ethernet devices that's my preference just how i like to do it.  

JimM11
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@TrueWill From Tech Radar review of the BT Super Hub 2. It looks like a pretty good router!

BT has a second more powerful router available. However, while there are two ways to get it, both will involve a decent boost in costs. You can upgrade to BT Plus with Complete Wi-Fi or, you can simply buy the router from the BT Store. 

As for why you should upgrade, the BT Smart Hub 2 monitors your connection and reboots if there's a problem, works through an app to monitor performance, provides 7 antennas to maximise power, filters out interference and more. In essence, while this won't be an upgrade many need, those who really care about good internet will be looking to make the upgrade.