cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i split my 2.5ghz and 5ghz HBB signals?

MattCook
Investigator
Investigator

According to 192.168.1.254 i have both bands turned on. I am unable to name them separately and no device can see the two bands. Just one entry for my HBB.

8 REPLIES 8
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@MattCook   They are both the same network it’s just two different frequencies that devices can use to connect to your router.  Your devices choose what band to connect to.   2.4Ghz is better for long distance but 5Ghz is faster but only for shorter distances.   Your devices choose what’s best at that time.  

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@MattCook  I presume you have the new white Smart Router - which does not allow you to split the bands.

Most modern devices cope and automatically swap bands if they move out of range.

If you are having trouble connecting a 2.4Ghz device, then if you temporarily switch off the 5Ghz band off it will normally connect ok, and stay connected when you switch the 5Ghz back on. 

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Which router do you have? With the white EE Smart Router, unlike the black EE Smart Hub, you cannot separate the wireless bands/SSIDs. The most you can do is on the Advanced > Wireless Settings page to temporarily disable the 5 GHz band & move off the Smart channel while connecting problematic 2.4 GHz devices.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Damn thats what ill have to do then. 

I ah e several smsrt plugs and bulbs but their set ups require the 2.5 band.

My old ee router would let me have both and showed both for me to choose.

I wonder of there's a reason for this backward step.

@MattCook  what is your old router, and why do you have a new one? If the old router is still working and you have not changed service the simplest solution would be to revert to the old router.

Which EE BB product do you have? Is it "Fibre Max" something?

@Mustrum : Chances are that if OP has been given the white Smart Router then he's on G.Fast BB which no previous EE router would handle.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I have a new one cause EE told me had to have a new one and send the old one back.

@MattCook   As yet I’ve never had to temporarily switch off 5Ghz so a 2.4Ghz device can be connected up without issue.     I’ve more than one occasion reset my router so had to reconnect all my devices and still never had an issue.