cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE Smart Hub SH31B & BT Halo 3 black discs.

GrandadSpike
Investigator
Investigator

I have just switched from BT to EE after receiving an email from BT, as I need 7 Halo discs to cover my old Cottage with 2ft + thick stone walls, I have to mainly feed the discs on Cat6 cables. Because of this I asked the advisor several times are these compatible with the new EE router & was always assured they were.

have sent many hours on the phone yesterday I was eventually assured by a “technical manager” that they are, but I need to factory reset both the hub which is still in the box & the disc before trying to connect them together.

Does anyone know whether this is going to work please, the BT discs are black as is the new hub?

I’ve also seen many post saying the new EE is nowhere near as good as the BT full fibre 900 that people (like me) have had before, does any have one that works please??

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

15 REPLIES 15
John-C
EE Community Support Team

Hi @GrandadSpike, sorry you're not happy with the advice given to you about the BT discs when you moved over to EE broadband.

I've sent you a Private Message so you can get in touch with the Mod team and we'll be happy to help you resolve this,

Cheers

John

Speedbird20
Explorer

Do you have a resolution to this?

I was on (flawless) Full Fibre 900 and upgraded to New EE. I was told that my black wifi discs were compatible but I can see no instructions on how to connect them to the Smart Hub Plus anywhere.

I also have a new hub coming as the first one seems to have failed and is constantly stuck with a flashing green light (which there is no mention of in any of the documentation).

Bizarrely there is no internet connection when it flashed green but my EE mobile can connect using WiFi calling.

So, for the time being, I'm back on my old BT Home Hub 2.

Thanks John, I’ve replied to private message.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

The white 'high street' BT Whole Home Wi-Fi discs can be used with any router.

The black BT Complete Wi-Fi discs cannot be used with any router other than a BT Smarthub 2.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thats disapointing, and not what i was told by EE.

Not what I was told either before I changed from BT & certainly not what I was told yesterday by the “technical manager”, apparently EE have just discovered this.

Now whether that’s correct or not remains to be seen, has anyone actually tried this please??

I posted about the BT Complete Wi-Fi discs. I'm not familiar with the Halo discs. Are they the same?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I believe so, my BT package was called Halo 3+  which used the Smart Hub 2 & the black Halo discs, the label on the back of the disc just has the BT logo & WiFi Disc written on the back of it & I can control the whole system in the BT app.

garywood84
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@GrandadSpike Even if the black BT Complete WiFi discs work with your EE Smart Hub Plus, they'll remove the only benefit of moving over to EE, which is that the Smart Hub Plus is WiFi6 enabled. This gives a much faster WiFi connection than WiFi5 used in the BT Smart Hub 2 and the Complete WiFi discs. So, if you connect the black discs, your WiFi will remain slower than the Smart Hub Plus can provide. 

Why not just contact EE and order Smart WiFi devices instead? These are white, square shaped replacements for the black BT Complete WiFi discs, and they are WiFi6 capable, so you'll get the benefits of faster WiFi throughout your property.