cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE/BT broadband router in modem or stelth mode.

HARVS980
Investigator
Investigator

I took out an EE/BT broadband contract and received a Smart Hub SH31B. I logged into the router and tried to put it into modem or stelth mode so I can connect it to my mesh network. This was unsuccessful due to the settings heavily restricted by EE/BT. I called the technical team asking for this to be applied to my Smart Hub and was told this is not possible. I changed the settings on my Virgin router to modem without any difficulty. I also did it with many other router brands, Netgear, TP-Link, Asus, Linksys, etc. How is this not possible with the EE/BT router? I know it can be done! Unfortunately I had to cancel my contract within the 14 days period and go back to Virgin. EE/BT please sort your life out. 

6 REPLIES 6
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You can't put a EE SH+ router into modem only mode. The facility just ain't there regardless of what you can do with other routers. However you don't need to just to add a mesh. You could disable the WiFi on it & let the mesh handle all WiFi connections if you like.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Why don't I just need to add a mesh? Disabling the WiFi on the EE SH+ will
not avert potential IP conflicts and network configuration problems with
two routers on the same network.The mesh network is connected via ethernet.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. You don't need the SH+ to act as a modem only in order to just add a mesh.

There'll be no IP conflict. The mesh will have its own IP subnet.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
No you haven't made yourself clear. I want the SH+ to act as a modem and
not a router. You said this can't be done! I have cancelled my EE/BT
broadband and gone back to Virgin. Thanks for the info. I'm currently using
the eero mesh network. I might go for Talk Talk broadband. I think they use
BT backbone system and the support eero.

What type of BB are you getting from EE? If it's Full Fibre (FTTP) you don't even need to use the router. You can plug the mesh straight into the ONT. The ONT is the modem.

@HARVS980   are you on full fibre ?

If so the ONT is the modem, no need for the EE Hub, just connect your mesh to the ONT in PPOE mode and use the default  BT username/passord bthomehub@btbroadband.com .