cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch with sim card

peterstocks
Explorer

I have a sim only contract with EE. I want to buy an Apple Watch with SIM card. Can I use the calls, texts and data from my existing contract or do I need to pay extra?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@peterstocks  Your calls and text will come from your phone allowance as the watch is linked to your account so it can do this but the data for the watch will be from the contract that you have for the watch.  You can not share your phone data allowance with the watch.    

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@peterstocks  Your calls and text will come from your phone allowance as the watch is linked to your account so it can do this but the data for the watch will be from the contract that you have for the watch.  You can not share your phone data allowance with the watch.    

My current Apple Watch has no SIM card but uses data from the phone allowance, I assume. Are you saying that if I get a watch with a SIM card, the watch will no longer share data with the phone allowance? Or will it share data when within Bluetooth range? And can I therefore pair a watch with SIM card with the phone and use it for calls and texts while away from the phone without incurring extra costs?

@peterstocks   Your current Apple Watch is connected to your iPhone and doesn’t use cellular data as it uses Bluetooth to connect to the iPhone.   There are two types of Apple Watch a none cellular version and a cellular version.  Your current watch is just receiving notifications via Bluetooth from your iPhone and it’s cellular connection. 

a cellular watch will work when it’s not in range of the iPhone.  Ie you can leave the phone at home and still receive calls/texts.      

a cellular watch has a contract to use the cellular features of the watch it’ll use your phone call/texts allowance but will have its own data allowance.  The watch when in range of your iPhone will connect to the iPhone and use Bluetooth even if it’s a cellular watch.     The question you need to ask yourself is do you need to use the watch on its own because you would like to leave your phone at home.