cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 - Water in Camera

SHull
Explorer

Hi everyone.

I took out my contract at the end of August last year. At the end of October, I had to send the device off for a repair as it would not boot past the Samsung logo. Turned out the entire screen had to be replaced. This was fine - was not charged for this. The phone had been fine up until yesterday.

It was raining and I was outside. Phone still works fine, but the power button stopped working for a few hours. Dried out and worked again. Fast forward to this morning and all three of the camera lenses have water on the inside of them. Visited local EE shop, told to visit the one in Cambridge as they can repair same day. Go to Cambridge and get told that as it is classed as water damage, it would be £100 up front to have this fixed.

It's an IP68 rated phone - rain should not cause this sort of problem. The store was adamant that they cannot do anything about the cost, they won't replace the phone as it's deemed to be water damaged. 

I don't think it's right to be charged to fix this -- thoughts? 

Thanks.

Photo of Issue 

3 REPLIES 3
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@SHull   It might have a IP rating but water ingress is not covered under the warranty or anything else.  

But the water ingress is likely caused by a previous repair - the screen was replaced in its entirety, and there's no way that being out in the rain should cause water to get into the camera lens.

This is my problem. I understand that it is not covered under warranty - but the only way water could get in is by the previous repair not being properly carried out. 

@SHull   You’ll need to take that up with EE.  You’ll need to call customer services.   You’ll also probably need a 3rd party report ( at your own cost ) to prove the original repair wasn’t carried out correctly