cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ipad only works on EE, but EE say they can't unlock, not locked to them.

csgardiner
Visitor

Hi everyone,

I have a strange issue, I bought a second hand iPad Air 2020 Cellular.  I've tried Vodafone and Three SIM's but both say it's locked to a different network.  However, an EE SIM works fine, I get a 4G connection and can use data.  

So, I called EE support to request the carrier lock is removed, but they say the IMEI number is not registered to their network.  I also tried their online unlocked (https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getting-started-and-upgrading/unlock-your-phone/unlock-a-ee-device-to...), but same thing there.

Anyone know why this might happen, and what I can do about it?

Thanks, 

Craig

8 REPLIES 8
EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

This is one of the problems buying second hand, you dont know the history of the Phone.

if an EE Sim works in the Device but its not from EE, could be an old Virgin Mobile Device, also worth trying Carphone Warehouse as well as Plusnet and BT Mobile.

@EssexBoyEE , the OP is discussing the problem with the IPad, which is not locked to EE, as far as I know, they are not locked to a network, unlike Phones, which used to be, but now are not anymore.

Not sure why this person is having this problem, seems a strange one to me.

If it is locked, then there must be another way to unlock, other than from EE, hopefully.

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@csgardiner : Not the safest thing to buy 2nd-hand devices. You have no come-back.

It might be worth checking it out on CheckMEND . I believe they show its original network.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
danmcml
Explorer

Hi Craig, 

I’m having this exact same issue - were you able to fix it in the end?

Thanks,

Dan

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @danmcml,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Is the iPad definitely network locked, rather than reported lost/stolen?

All iPad's purchased direct from EE should be unlocked for all networks.
James

Hi James,

Like OP, mine was second-hand. Apple told me it was EE-locked, it only worked with EE sims, but the online unlocker and the support team told me it was not on their system.

HOWEVER! I insisted it was and asked for the issue to be escalated, eventually a lovely Diane was able to confirm it was indeed locked to them and she put through an unlock request. Said she wasn’t sure why it wasn’t on their main database.

Hopefully this helps anyone else who comes across this issue 🙂

Dan

James_B
EE Community Support Team

I'm happy to hear Diane was able to help @danmcml 

Thanks for the update. 🙂

James

@danmcml , thank you for updating us, glad you were able to get this sorted, 

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.